windows media centre and freeview

maccster 15:26 04 Jun 06

i've just bought a dell computer with windows media centre installed and want to hook up my freeview box to it. i can get sound throught it but no picture. any help appriciated.

VideoSentry 15:42 05 Jun 06

You will need a 'capture card' as the output from the digibox is analogue and will need converting ( I think ) or If you are in a good area( for digital reception ) a DVB usb tuner.

maccster 15:58 05 Jun 06

it doesn't mention anything about that from either dell or windows media centre. it just says plug in and play.

Jimmy14 17:43 05 Jun 06

I had this problem when I first bought a HP Media center Base Unit. What you will probably need is a composite video cable (yellow) that connects into the back of the computer then the other side (SCART) cable into your tv .

Then configure it on setting up a TV Signal on the TV section Microsoft Media center which I done.

I bought my composite video cable with the 3 colours red,white,yellow audio and video with the scart on the other end from TESCO for about £5

maccster 18:19 05 Jun 06

thanks jimmy14 but i'm actually wanting to plug it into the back of my freeview box. is that still the correct connection?

Jimmy14 21:01 05 Jun 06

Sorry let me rephrase that , my fault. You buy the same cable that I suggested in my first post, from Tesco or wherever. Plug the scart end into the back of the freeview box and the composite video ends with the 3 different colours into the back of your computer. Then set it up through Media center.

My apologies as I got mixed up in my first post.
Post back if you need any more help. James

maccster 21:19 05 Jun 06

ok james i'll get a cable then back to you if it doesn't work. when you say set it up through media centre do i have to go into configaration screens?

Jimmy14 22:01 05 Jun 06

just go into the Tv section and set up a tv signal part. Plug everything in first then set up the siganl and remember to insert your analogue signal from your house straight into the back of the freeview box. Hear from you soon James

maccster 22:04 05 Jun 06

ok mate i'll get back to you when i have everything. cheers again.

maccster 17:51 08 Jun 06

ok, got absolutly conned at comet for a lead but now have one. done as you said james and still the same as before??????????????? no picture, very little sound.

Jimmy14 17:58 08 Jun 06

What do you mean conned, much did you pay for the cable I suggested?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos