Win 7 Cant Find TV Signal

belcanto 16:00 PM 06 Oct 10

Hi all, I have a Packard bell SmartTV media centre that has 1.5gb memory, Ati X600 PCI-E graphics card, 320gb hard drive and twin Asus hybrid pci tv cards.

For some reason despite scanning time and time again, Win Media Centre 7 can find channels but no signal. I have a dvb-t ariel (not the usual tiny one supplied) but it still cant get any freeview, though it can find analogue which is terrible to view.

What am I doing wrong, be greatful for any ideas out there

belcanto 16:01 PM 06 Oct 10

PS: should add that i have tried to use both Total Media and MediaPortal to the same affect. Dont really want to reinstall win7, so I hope someone can help...

john bunyan 16:54 PM 06 Oct 10

Have you tried with your roof aerial? I would try a TV first on your PC aerial socket to ensure you really do have a good signal. I have my PC upstairs and put in a dedicated loft aerial above the room where the PC is.I also have TV dongle with a laptop and I keep a short aerial lead with it and use a roof aerial socket when possible.

belcanto 18:17 PM 06 Oct 10

The media centre is in the bedroom, I also live in a basement flat so a roof Ariel is out, plus I don't really want more cables than necessary.

I see Argos dvb-t arials for 10.00, do you reckon I should try that? What's frustrating is that my Tv cards and win7 media centre have worked before in terms of a signal with current ariel

belcanto 18:18 PM 06 Oct 10

The media centre is in the bedroom, I also live in a basement flat so a roof Ariel is out, plus I don't really want more cables than necessary.

I see Argos dvb-t arials for 10.00, do you reckon I should try that? What's frustrating is that my Tv cards and win7 media centre have worked before in terms of a signal with current ariel

BRYNIT 21:15 PM 06 Oct 10

"I also live in a basement flat so a roof Ariel is out"

If you live in a basement flat the odds on getting a good enough signal without an external aerial are going to be very slim.

belcanto 21:25 PM 06 Oct 10

I have been able to get a signal here in the bed room with a usb dvb-t dongle before. Maybe I should rip out the pci, sell them and get usb or a set-top box instead. What do people think?

john bunyan 15:30 PM 07 Oct 10

Can you get a good picture on a digital TV in your room? It is unlikely without a higher aerial as BRINIT says. Cant you run a coax on the outside to a higher point? To establish it one way or the other , could a top floor tennant allow you to try upstairs?

belcanto 13:38 PM 09 Oct 10

Dear all, resolved it so far by buying an amplified INDOOR arial and some careful repositioning of it..not got all the channels and picture a bit fuzzy, so will re-scan later on tonight..

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone