Why won't my V+ box record radio channels?

Onizuka 15:25 13 Jun 08

My V+ box (Virgin Media’s equivalent of the Sky+ box) can pause, rewind and record all the TV channels but if my TV is tuned to one of the many radio stations now available via digital TV and I press Pause or Record a message appears on the screen as follows:
Attention: These functions are not available when tuned to a radio channel: Pause, Rewind, Fast Forward, Instant Replay, Record.

I couldn’t get any sense out of Virgin who told me that I couldn’t record because “it’s audio, you can only record films, not music. It’s just like years ago when you weren’t supposed to record music off the radio and you couldn’t record a film onto your tape recorder or a DVD player. It’s a different wavelength”.

Quite what I was supposed to make of that explanation is beyond me.

Can anyone tell me please why these very useful facilities cannot be used for the radio channels?

BT 17:12 13 Jun 08

It works fine on my FREEVIEW HDD recorder so I can't see why it won't on Virgin. Have you tried recording them on an external VHS or DVD recorder.

BT 17:22 13 Jun 08

Have a look here too, they may be able to help

click here

Onizuka 16:19 15 Jun 08

BT
Thanks for your two posts. The advantage of the V+ box is that, with its own hard drive, recording is simplicity itself. You simply highlight a programme on the EPG and press Record, either a single programme or a whole series. Similarly, the ability to Pause a live TV programme when the phone rings or someone comes to the door is really useful. What I want to know is why this facility does not work with the radio channels. Yes, I can record them on my combination VHS/DVD recorder but this shouldn’t be necessary.

Thanks for the link to the Chetnet Forum. I hadn’t come across it before. Unfortunately I could find nothing in it to answer my query.

BT 16:34 15 Jun 08

As I said my Freeview box also has a Hard drive and the same facilities as the V+, EPG selection, Pause etc. and does also record radio channels.

Onizuka 16:47 15 Jun 08

BT
Yes, I had assumed that. It’s obviously something to do with the way Virgin have configured their box. I’m hoping that perhaps there is a member of this Forum who works for Virgin and can explain why the V+ doesn’t work like your Freeview box.

dfh 17:02 15 Jun 08

I dont know if this is correct or not but see here
click here

BT 07:52 16 Jun 08

"You can't record the radio channels on the V+ box for Technical reasons.

The speed of playback off the disc is controlled by looking at timecodes in the video stream. Which is a bit of a problem if there's no video. It may be fixed in a future software update by recording separate timecodes for radio channels."

Perhaps that's why there's a channel logo on the screen when tuned to Freeview radio channels

dfh 11:30 16 Jun 08

Sorry, I wouldn't know. Having both V+ box and freeview tv I rarely listen to the radio.

Onizuka 15:50 03 Jul 08

The explanation above that you can’t record the radio channels for technical reasons seemed reasonable but that didn’t explain why Virgin couldn’t say so and I posted the same question on their website. I have just today received a phone call from Virgin (despite my requesting a reply by e-mail only) who inform me that it is against the law to record radio programmes. Virgin have configured their V+ boxes to prevent recording radio stations “otherwise they’d be in trouble with OFCOM”.

Can anybody confirm this?

BT 16:44 03 Jul 08

I can't see any difference between recording Radio or TV broadcasts, as long as its only for you own use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac