Why Do I Need to Pay Extra?

morddwyd 07:11 14 Feb 16

This is a genuine enquiry, I;m not having a moan!

I recently changed my PAYG contract from Sainsbury, which closed, to EE, and I now find that they keep sending me messages that if I want to use data I must pay extra, and actually buy it separately.

Why can't it just be taken from my existing credit?

Is this someting new, or just something that EE does?

RV510 09:49 14 Feb 16

If you are now on PAYG that is 'pay as you go', it is not a contract which if it were you would be paying regular amounts monthly or for a longer period, either 12, 18 or 24 months and your 'plan' would include a certain amount of data. You can still use 'data' on PAYG as long as you have credit on the phone but I'm guessing that they are wanting you to purchase more data by increasing the amount you pay when 'topping up'. I don't understand why they want extra for data, as long as you are in credit it should be available.

morddwyd 10:40 14 Feb 16

Not the case I'm afraid.

I've always been on PAYG, since the days of Cellnet, but have never had to pay extra for data (I have two phones and two "phablets", all different numbers, all PAYG and all except this one on the same carrier).

With EE whenever my satnav tries to download traffic information EE (not the satnav company, I have a lifetime licence) asks for more money.

RV510 13:12 14 Feb 16

Then your best bet for a definitive answer would be to contact EE and ask!

BRYNIT 13:29 16 Feb 16

Have you checked what package you are on? Is it a talk and text package or an everything package? Click here CLICK HERE

morddwyd 19:16 16 Feb 16

Thanks BRYNIT.

I have never heard of such packs in PAYG, and I wasn't offered any options when I changed SIMS. Soon as I can find an EE shop I'll go in and check.

morddwyd 11:37 02 Mar 16

Final Update

Visited an EE shop on Monday, and it appears it's just a money making scheme. Normal credit can be used for both calls and data, but they are trying to sell me a monthly allowance which I will never use, thereby making them money. Advice from the shop was to ignore the messages!

I seem to recall the same thing with O2,, but they give you the option of tyrning the messages off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac