Which security programs you use?

MarekCRO 18:52 26 Apr 15

It's simple question, so far I never have any AV installed on my phone because I thought it's not necessary to have it, but suddenly it looks like I need one because I have some "bugs" after visiting one adult site (don't want to justify myself, but I visit it because of some tests on my phone, not for what you think, for that I have computer with big screen :D ).

So, which one do you use? Which one you can recommend?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:20 26 Apr 15

Avast for android use on phone and tablet.

philipdev 07:08 28 Apr 15

till now i have been using bitdefender for my mobile. I think its good for security purpose.

Batch 08:41 28 Apr 15

Like Fruit Bat, I use Avast. Can't testify to its efficaciousness - it has never reported an issue and I'm not aware that there are any (with my Android devices).

mikef. 11:44 28 Apr 15

I use Lookout which is highly reccomended

go4ever 18:49 05 May 15

I only install the AVG or sometime similar at the time get suspected applications. After everything fine, I will reinstall the AVG to give more free resources to my phone.

theDarkness 22:41 09 May 15

For want of a better word I am guessing you are referring to adult 'pop ups'? :) On my phone I initially went for one the most popular and tried Qihoo 360 which looked good in design and features but worked better as a temp cleaner than spy or adware detector, being able to move files to sd to save space, and delete unnecessary files old apks etc,although unlike many malware programs, it did note vulnerabilities. In terms of all round secure browsing and being able to ignore files it might report as malicious that are not, it let itself down a little. Fine for a free app, but the program doesn't quite live up to its pc counterpart, which can use more than one antivirus engines. I tend not to explore the unknown web too much via android and stick to popular google play apps, so anything too malicious isn't so much of an issue, but I would also recommend bitdefender.

I have tried adblock plus for android recently, seemingly now removed from Google Play (it supposedly didn't fit in with their polices). It only worked on wifi for me, and even then, it switched off or stopped working after a set period of the phone left alone, or after a reset for no good reason, so I uninstalled. A possible compatibility issue with some new phones or their OS. I tried on an LG G3, so I uninstalled. It also lagged the phone on wifi, which was most notable using apps such as tripadvisor-eg images on tripadvisor would take much longer than necessary to load. Issues with adblock have been reported by other android users online with seemingly no real fix as of yet.

To prevent apps taking unnecessary details I found Xprivacy online, which prevents apps taking details from your phone. It required a rooted phone and Xposed app installation (tried on my old Xperia that I tested it on). Xprivacy seems to have a paid version on GooglePlay, not sure if official, but the one I tried was a free beta suggested for my old Xperia Miro which wasnt guaranteed to work. You are no doubt at risk of bricking your phone if you don't know how compatible it may be, but it seems to do the job on the old phone. I have not risked trying a similar app on the LG G3.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…