Which HD DVD Recorder

john bunyan 15:49 18 Jul 08

I am thinking of getting a Freeview plus HD with disc burner DVD recorder. I like the Panasonic DMR-EX77 for the VIERA link to a Panasonic TV, but have seen the Phillips DVDR5520H which has 160 Gig HD, pause live TV, 1080p upscaling and has automatic advert deleting software. The Phillips is about £195 and the Panasonic £295. Is the Panasonic worth the premium? (I do like the brand)
Both have a very similar spec. Any views?

ravingdave 16:53 18 Jul 08

There is a lot advice on DVD HD recorders here:

click here

General concensus is the best ones are either Sony or Panasonic with not much between them. Philips does not seem to come out too well on the forum, and all the features on the Philips you list above are also provided by Sony and Panasonic. I've had a Sony HXD870 for about 6 months and have been very pleased with it - good quality picture and easy to use.

john bunyan 19:28 18 Jul 08

ravingdave. Thanks I am leaning towards the Panasonic but the Phillips spec looks good for £100 less.I think you have to create advert chapters and delete them on the Panasonic but it looks more automatic on the Phillips spec.Wi;; give it a bit longer to decide...

ravingdave 23:38 18 Jul 08

The sony generates chapters as it records, probably based on some sort of algorithm that looks for significant changes in the picture? Anyway it works pretty well picking up most of the adverts, and any it has missed can also be marked as chapters manually. In either case you still need to delete them manually, which I'm pretty sure would be the same on the Philips. I can't believe any of them are so foolproof that there would be an 'auto delete' function. I also believe that the Panasonic works in the same way as the sony. Both Sony 870 and Panasonic 77 can be found for less than £200 - see the links at top of the avforums page.

john bunyan 10:36 19 Jul 08

ravingdave. Thanks again. Will probably go for the Panasonic as it matches the TV with a VIERA link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…