Which is the better an SD or SDHC card?

Sparkly 16:38 07 Aug 08

Hi all i have just bought a Samsung S1065 camera 10.2 mega pixels just took a look what type of card it takes and i am told it will take an SD/SDHC & an MMC format cards i was thinking of getting an SD but could anyone tell me the difference between the SD card and the SDHC which would be the better.
Thanks for any advise on this as i have never used either format before allways had an XD card.

g0nvs 20:16 07 Aug 08

SDHC has higher capacity (4gb +)& is faster.

Sparkly 21:05 07 Aug 08

Hi g0nvs thanks for your reply i did not realise it was something as simple as that..... thanks again.

User2008 01:07 08 Aug 08

and now is the time to buy... prices have fallen sharply.

Also note that SD cards and SDHC cards are not backwards compatible. So if you plan to use your cards across several devices, like a card reader in your PC - may not read SDHC cards.

I'd also stick to branded cards - the Sandisk Ultra and Extreme range are best.

My own personal preference with memory cards is to have several smaller cards than one big one. For instance rather than filling up a 4Gig, I usually take 2 or 3 2GB cards with me.... means less photos to lose.

Sparkly 08:42 08 Aug 08

Good morning User2008 and thankyou for your reply also, i had noticed the drop in price for the cards i had seen a Sandisk SDHC new for sale on ebay for £9.99 which i though was very reasonable. Also your tip on useing several cards is food for thought as you say "less of a chance of loseing all your photos that are on one larger card."
Thanks for the advise.

User2008 18:32 08 Aug 08

ebay prices aren't what they seem. Play and Amazon sell them as cheap when you factor in postage costs. Lots of fakes, and sub-standard products on those auctions...

If you see a card on Play go into PCWorld and get them to Price Match it. They normally charge circa £29.99 for most 2gb cards and if they're £9.99 on Play it means PCW will sell you it for £7.99. Just take a printout with you.

I do not recommend buying memory cards off eBay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…