What software to build a slide show with captions?

1936 13:04 12 Feb 06

I have tried asking the following question on a number of Camera/Photographic forums with no success as they do not appear to read the question that I asked so I have come to this forum hoping for more luck.

I am new to this pastime, I am not interested in mucking about with photographs, if they are no good I dump them. All I want to do is create a slide show with titles and place it on a DVD so that I can watch it on a TV through a DVD player.

I have a computer a year or so old with a DVD burner Sony DVD RW DV D22A and am using Philips DVD+R discs.

I have the following software:
Canon which came with the Canon EOS 300d camera.
Olympus which came with the Olympus Camedia C – 370 Zoom camera.
Serif PhotoPlus 10
Serif AlbumPlus4
Adobe Photshop Elements.
Windows Movie Maker.
Nero 6 Reloaded.

I think that Serif does not create titles and I am not sure about Nero either. I then read that Windows Movie Maker does not support any DVD burning software. Could someone advise me if any of my software that I have can do what I want so that in order to avoid confusion I can dump the rest. My other question is, does my Hardwear and Philips disc look correct for the job.

I received the following eight suggestions from the camera forums but no one answered my question which is any of the software that I already have suitable for what I want to do or do I really have to buy additional software?

Pictureshow 2 although 4
Magix Photos
Pictures to EXE
Picasa2
Ulead Video Studio 9
ProShow Gold
Photodex, Pro Show Gold
Pinnacle Studio 9

Does anyone have experience of the software/Hardwear that I have already and if so could they tell me if any of it will do what I want?

jack 13:59 12 Feb 06

Been making slide shows- slide movies even with captions/music/commentery for yonks

My current favourite is DVDPixPlay from click here

45 day free version with a 50 slide limit
£15 buys the whole thing.
Aslo take a look at click here
a formaer favourite

anchor 14:47 12 Feb 06

Have a look at the free JAlbum.

click here

walterb 14:56 12 Feb 06

I use Serif photo plus to add text to photgraphs then make the DVD (with or without sound) with Nerovision. Works a treat and Printing/photo albums are redundant

davidstamp 15:00 12 Feb 06

The simplest solution is to just PowerPoint if it is already on your PC.

Create a plain black or white background, insert your picture and/or mpeg movie clips, one per page and use a simple inserted text box under each image to caption them.

You can even change the timing for automatically advancing the pages, the way they advance, add sound effects and more.

If you don't have PowerPoint as part of any MS Office suite then this is not the cheapest solution - but if you already have it its free for you to use.

David Stamp

wallbash 15:11 12 Feb 06

If you have it , then go with Powerpoint as suggested by David, easy ( my kids use it all the time )

1936 15:19 12 Feb 06

Right, I can see that the first thing that I need to do is to build the slide show and I will worry about getting it onto a DVD later. However, I am a trifle thick Walter so how do I find the “Slide Show” facility in Serif?

The two David’s. Are you saying that all the software I already have is not as good as Power Point when it comes to building a slide show with titles?

wallbash 15:57 12 Feb 06

Not a David but I also have Ulead and Pinnacle sitting on my H/D but for a slideshow will use Powerpoint, not saying the software is not as good, but Power Point is my prog of choice.

Why, I find it simpler to use

1936 16:01 12 Feb 06

I regret that I have to expose that I am as thick as I am but I can't find PowerPoint on my computer. Could you please point me in the right direction. If its not there I may have to buy it.

1936 17:05 12 Feb 06

I found Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer but that did not seem the right thing so I looked up the cost of PowerPoint and at the best price I could find of £85.00 its a non starter. As I have Mesh I suspect that a lack of PowerPoint is down to the tight fisted software bundle they package.

wallbash 17:13 12 Feb 06

Sorry , Power point comes with MS office , if you dont have office , would be to expensive. But in our defense , some use only word/excel and forget extra's bundled with office.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…