What is this setting for? (plasma tv)

1832bchs 23:31 20 Nov 07

Out of curiosity, can someone tell me what the adjustable "Phase" setting is for on my plasma tv?
Manual doesn't mention it.

Stuartli 00:16 21 Nov 07

The only reference I can find is Dot Phase Adjustment (for a Sony) which only applies to computer input.

Also see Page 8 of:

click here

1832bchs 00:21 21 Nov 07

Maybe it IS only for computer input. The setting only appeared when I connected the TV to V+ box with HDMI.

It's used with the computer I/P

Clock/phasing for Analog inputs
LCD panels use discrete pixels and ideally should be connected to the image source via a digital interface such as DVI. In an analog video signal from a computer's "VGA connector" the luminance data for one pixel runs into the next in a time continuum. To properly recover the data back into the correct discrete pixels requires accurate synchronisation of a "sampling-clock" in the monitor to the "pixel clock" in the graphics card. Although possible, this can be technically tricky to get right (the VGA output was never designed for this!). Symptoms of incorrect clock/phase settings include blurry or shimmering text, and shimmering on fine crosshatch patterns.The "automatic" adjustment of many LCD monitors is not always successful, and manual tweaking may be needed. It is probably wise to allow the monitor (and PC) to warm up for 5- or 10minutes before running this test.

1832bchs 12:43 21 Nov 07

Didn't understand most of that but many thanks for the info. It's obviously nothing I need to bother about.

slickbrick 23:24 22 Apr 08

Try looking here

<A HREF="click here">Plasma TV Guide</A>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5