What PC and software for composing music?

Coggsey 11:46 22 May 06

Hi all,
I am about to buy a new desktop PC. My main interest is digital photography. However, I intend to buy some software (not too sure which one yet) for home composing. What minimum PC specifications would you suggest that I would need to produce music files and does anybody have any suggestions about software? There are so many to choose from. Basically, I would like the intruments and sounds already stored but would also like to introduce/generate my own at some stage.

Regards

remind 13:39 22 May 06

lots of info here click here

most decent modern pc's can handle everything from recording a few tracks to hard disk and playing them back to generating multiple tracks of internally genenerated synth sounds, mixing them with samples and your own recorded audio and applying effects to the whole lot - huge scope and you'd need to take a look at how you intend to create your music to decide on the best kit.

Charence 16:49 22 May 06

click here is quite popular for composers but it seems rather expensive.
click here is less expensive but I'm not sure if it is as good.

ade.h 18:20 22 May 06

I used to use C-Lab Notator (pro standard) and an Atari at college in the early nineties. I guess things have moved on a bit now, but what a humble Atari could handle then, any half-respectable PC can handle now, I'm sure. I also have some experience of Cubase, which was very good, and is still available I think.

paddyjack 11:50 23 May 06

Alot depends on how much you want to spend, the best one is Cubase but it's not cheap. It will do anything you want and then some.

I dont have personal experience except listening to it in use every day as my son uses it for his music production.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5