watching cable while recording on HDD DVD

BingoBoy 13:44 03 Mar 08

I have just purchased a replace DVD recorder in the form of a hard disc drive Panasonic DMR-EX77 and so far am very pleased with it. The only problem I have is not being able to watch my Virgin Media cable when recording vis the DVD. I have a newish flat screen Phillips TV, the Virgin Media set top box and the DVD player to link up. As I was replacing a previous player which allowed me to view cable whilst recording via the DVD player I just replaced the scart leads that came out from the old DVD into the new DVD. This has worked fine as all channels have appeared and I can record. One difference is how I access cable. In the old set up pressing AV on the TV remote gave access to TV, ext1, ext2, ext3 plus others so if the recorder was in use I would select ext2 for cable and all was OK. Now the Panasonic is hooked up I access cable via the DVD player by pressing Input Select key until it selects cable. If you use the TV remote to look in ext1 there is nothing and ext2 is the DVD player. What this means is that I cannot tune into cable when the DVD is recording. Hopefully it is just a connection issue between the set top box. Can anybody help in very simple terms i.e. spell it out for me as I hate technology and don't get along with it!

BRYNIT 19:59 03 Mar 08

Have you checked that you have connected the scart leads correctly.

AV1 from the Panasonic DVD recorder should go to the TV.
AV2 should be connected to your cable box.

BingoBoy 15:12 06 Mar 08

I have now sorted this by using an additional scart lead to connect the cable box to the TV in addition to the DVD player. This now means I have the 4 options to watch TV analogue, TV digital freeview, cable TV and DVD.

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant