Virgin V+ HD settings

Dellman 15:43 PM 08 May 10

Just installing new Virgin Media V+ HD box. These are the specs of my 2006 Toshiba HD TV 32WLT66

Diagonal size 32 in.
Image aspect ratio 16:9

Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels
HD formats 720p, 1080i
Image contrast ratio 1,200:1
Screen brightness 500 cd/m2
Horizontal viewing angle 176 °

What should I set the V+ HD box output settings to - 720, 720 wide, 1080 or 1080 wide?

bremner 16:39 PM 08 May 10
  BT 17:03 PM 08 May 10

"If you’ve got a HD TV, our installers will connect your new V+ HD Box to it when they arrive."

If they haven't what have you paid the £35 installation fee and £49 set up fee for?

mosfet 18:17 PM 08 May 10

In my case.. the Virgin instuctions are wrong.
Where they say " tune to the relevant AV channel for scart connection" it should be..
"tune to the relevant AV channel for HD connection"
Doing it to scart, the box crashed every time.

BT 08:37 AM 09 May 10

The question still is
Why didn't the installers set it up for you?

Regardless of what the instructions say, you paid for set up and installation and this should have been done by the installation guys.

Its fairly obvious that to get HD it has to be connected via an HDMI connection and they would/should know this. It shouldn't be necessary for you to have to sort it out yourself.

How different when I bought my new TV from my local Euronics dealer. They took away my old very heavy CRT set, delivered, unpacked, connected all my ancilliary equipment including supplying an HDMI lead for my PVR/DVD recorder, set it all up and demonstrated it. All for no extra charge.

Dellman 10:01 AM 09 May 10

The Virgin offer is the self-install option. Its normally £75.

So you just follow the instructions. There isn't any guidance though really as to whether you use 720 or 1080 option.

And when you ring up, they say its down to you to decide!!

BRYNIT 18:41 PM 09 May 10

Connect V+ box to TV via HDMI cable and set it to 1080 wide.

I think all HD programs will be in wide screen. Most other programs are in wide screen apart from some old repeats which will be in 4:3. If when watching your TV the picture always fills the TV screen without any black boarders your TV is likely set to wide screen anyway.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…