Video camcorder.....Card or hard drive?

nerawan 15:52 12 May 08

Hi. I'm going in a very long holiday ( nearly 18 months) and I want to buy a Video camera.
The ones I've seen (around 500 pounds) record info in a memory CARD or Hard drive (also Tapes, but I don't like them(bulky)).

I want some advice about the Cons and Pros of this formats to keep transfering the INFO into DVDs. (Ithink it's the best way to keep them stored).
The video camera is HD and I don't see any usind DVDs.
Thanks in advanced.

ravingdave 16:20 12 May 08

Depends on how you plan to use it, and how much footage you plan to take. Format of the data will be the same on both disk and card.

A hard drive recorder will usually have a greater capacity, but with memory card prices dropping rapidly you can also get quite a lot of video onto easily available 4GB/8GB/16GB cards.

Hard drives camcorders will need to be treated more gently than card based recorders because of all the moving parts - so if you are going on an extreme action holiday perhaps Card would be best.

How do you plan to store the material. If you want to keep it all on camera until you return, then hard disk has more capacity, but if disk crashes at any time then you will lose the lot. Are you taking a laptop to transfer material onto DVD as you go?

You could use multiple memory cards, so if one goes wrong you don't lose the lot. Could also send them by post to someone else to archive for you.

nerawan 14:55 13 May 08

I'm not taking a laptop, just using internet-cafe.

I did a litle more research and finally found one that records to Cards and DVDs, wich I think is the best thing. It's the Panasonic HDC-SX5. It has 2 good reviwes by customers and got it for 380 from CameraBox. 60 less than Amazon.

chub_tor 20:25 13 May 08

If you click here# you can see how your camera compares with other camcorders and if you click on one of the links you can get both expert and user opinions.

Covergirl 12:37 14 May 08

12 reviewed in July 08 CompShopper. DV, Card, HDD formats covered £140 - £800

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…