vhs recording - picture but no sound

mco 14:31 18 Mar 06

Sorry if this isn't strictly digital; I don't know where else to ask. Have two tvs in two separate rooms. Both have VHS recorders. Main aerial comes into the living room then cables connect all tvs so we can all get satellite - therefor I can watch a video in one room that is shown on the vcr in the main living room. OK? But I am trying to record from the video in the living room onto the video in the other room and although it plays fine on the telly I can only get picture not sound. Any ideas? The second video does record fine usually as I've recorded with it from the freeview box in this second room . Have unplugged and plugged back in all connections - still picture but no sound!

jack 16:29 18 Mar 06

A tape cleaner may provide a remedy- but also you must consider a mismatch- not all recording machine are equal- have you tried the other way round?

mco 20:01 18 Mar 06

It won't work the other way round because the signal comes from the living room into the second room not vice versa.

dms05 07:23 19 Mar 06

Are you using co-ax from room1 to room2? If so VHS in room2 could need a slight retune as the video is OK. And try VHS1 in room2 and VHS2 in room1 and see if that works.

mco 14:35 19 Mar 06

It's sorted - I disconnected the freeview box that I have in room 2 and reconnected the video to tv on its own - and then I got sound as well. Mind you, if ever I want to record from one video to another it will be a bit of a drag having to do that every time - but at least I know it works, although I don't know why.

jack 17:22 19 Mar 06

You might consider a switchable scart box so that you simply switch to the channels you wish.
Some have switches some are automatic [detect the device that is running and closes off the others.]

mco 23:31 20 Mar 06

I've actually got one in a box somewhere that I used for another set up a couple of years ago -forgot all about it until your post - will dig it out, and thanks for reminding me!

morthin 14:34 11 Apr 06

Hi I have a similar problem which has occured in my Matsui video recorder.It records the picture with excellent results, but the sound does not record, that is the sound recording from the previous recording comes through. I have tried changing tapes but the problem still exists.Any ideas. Thanks

DieSse 23:00 11 Apr 06

Damaged tapes or faulty/dirty sound recording heads.

Sound is recorded by a seperate sound head, which uses a strip along the edge of the tape.

Try a head cleaning tape, and try a new tape for recording - otherwise you'll have to have it repaired, which may or may not be economically worth it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now