vhs to dvd for america viewing

moodboom 10:34 15 Dec 05

I have a Pioneer DVR-530H-S which the manual says will play NTSC video. What I want to do is record some VHS family movies to a dvd that will play in America.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible.
I can't guarantee that my american friends will have a multi region dvd player.
Can I make a region free home dvd that is NTSC compatible?
Is there a PC solution that will convert the dvd once I've made it?
Are american PC dvd players region 1 just like stand alone dvd players?

Thanks for any help guys.

David.

PaulB2005 10:44 15 Dec 05

As far as I'm aware when burning at home from a Region Free source (such as VHS Video) the final DVD will have no Region Encoding.

Somewhere in your options will be an option to set the recording to PAL or NTSC. Problem is you won't be able to test the recording once burnt.

DieSse 12:17 15 Dec 05

There's very little difference between a PAL DVD and an NTSC DVD. For sure they will all play in any domestic DVD player.

See this informative write-up here click here

moodboom 10:55 17 Dec 05

So I could burn a dvd as normal and it's region free and will play on an american (ntsc) dvd player. I'm a little sceptical but will investigate using my yanks as guinea pigs. Wonder if they'll recieve a nice coaster in the mail.

rupie 02:44 22 Dec 05

most uk and us vhs and tv will play both PAL B and NTSC. most decient pc packages will cope with all formats. this is because the format of japanese video is ntsc. home recorded dvd is always region zero. It realy is easier than you think.

moodboom 12:08 23 Dec 05

Thanks for the comments folks. Will give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…