VHS to dvd

eevie 15:17 PM 08 Aug 11

HI I am about to start transferring my VHS tapes on DVDs. I have managed to get the VHS onto my computer using arcsoft that came free with the leads I am using. This seems ok, the file is saved as a .mpg, I then create a project and do some rudimentary editing. I am now puting on DVD, but it tells me the file is too big. I have now noticed that this file will be saved in .AVI format. (i had a run through with a very small file)Is AVI what I should be saving as? It seems to do this without asking, I am not changing any default settings, Should I?

More problems are that my DVD rewriter is not working so I am exporting the file to an external hard drive, this seems to be going through the whole video very slowly as I am exporting the whole project not just copying the file? When it's on my external dive I can use a laptop to write the dvd. Would it normally take hours to produce the dvd (record)on the software and a very long time to write.

I am just a bit confused with it all and am working on trial and error. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

john bunyan 18:50 PM 09 Aug 11

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The 14 most useless gadgets of all time: nauseating, crappy and downright silly technology, from a…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November