Using UK smartphone in Italy with Italian SIM card

PaulTodd 13:09 07 Aug 14

Is it possible for me to place an Italian SIM card in a UK-purchased smartphone and then use it in Italy for local calls and data? I have heard that some phones sold in the UK won't work when loaded with a foreign SIM. I plan to use a Motorola Moto G.

alanrwood 16:54 07 Aug 14

If your Moto G is unlocked it should work with any sim UK or Foreign. If you want to do this try and buy an unlocked one to start with. EG buying a Tesco locked one will cost around £2.50 to get an unlock code but this still leaves the default voicemail number as Tesco's number which can't be changed without flashing the rom.

Batch 09:20 10 Aug 14

The Moto G uses a microSIM card and so you would need to get an Italian providers microSIM. And as alanrwood says your phone will need to be unlocked.

AroundAgain 10:25 10 Aug 14

Check with where you bought it whether locked or not before spending money on another mobile or a sim card. They should be able to confirm if un/locked

alanrwood 19:28 10 Aug 14

Cheaper is to borrow a friends micro sim and see if it works. If it is still a locked phone it will cost about £2 on eBay for an unlock code. They are normally emailed back to you within a couple of hours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009