Using a 200Gb IDE HD recovered from dud TV recorder

Diemmess 12:47 PM 21 Jul 13

My ageing Panasonic digi Freeview box with HD recorder and DVD has died suddenly and been replaced.

Lifting the lid there are at least 2 electrolytics which have blown and the display had become too dim to read during daylight, so it was time to replace it.

The HD was fairly easy to remove and is a standard IDE Samsung HA200JC. I can fit it in a case as an external HD, but presume it will be unreadable to Windows XP and will need formatting. A pity because there are a few items recorded which I would like to save.

Is there a way to copy the contents into playable form by my PC or the new recorder which has a USB socket at the back?

LastChip 15:41 PM 22 Jul 13

Most recorders are Linux based.

If you plug the hard drive into a suitable computer and then boot the computer with a live Linux CD of your choice, the chances are you'll be able to access those files.

The reason you can't access them trough a Windows machine, is because the file system used cannot be read by Windows. There's a high probability is ext2 or 3.

Diemmess 21:28 PM 22 Jul 13

Thanks LastChip for the probable answer.

Sorry to say it won't be worth {to me] the time required, but I appreciate having your guidance.

alanrwood 10:52 AM 23 Jul 13

Arn't these drives encrypted or is that just Sky.

Diemmess 12:06 PM 27 Jul 13

Either way, it matters not! Mounted in a suitable case the motor doesn't even spin....

Utter 'ush. The case LED shines but that's all and I'm not in urgent need of another HD anyway.... to recyle tip!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X