usb tv on my laptop

kidsis 16:27 23 Nov 08

anyone have any recommendations for a usb tv stick for a low spec laptop? I wouldn't need to record, just watch, and probably would not miss radio. I would want to watch digital programmes. I have looked at plenty of them, but it is always nice if others can give their views. Thanks,

Stuartli 16:34 23 Nov 08

You need a pretty strong signal - rarely does the small built-in aerial prove sufficient.

kidsis 09:20 24 Nov 08

hi, thanks for reply Stuart. Once I know I can get a tv stick which would work I was then going to research getting some sort of splitter which would plug the aerial in to the main tv and then branch off to the laptop. I have no idea yet if these exist!

Stuartli 18:33 24 Nov 08

Yes, they do, but cut the signal strength to both.

Better to use a good two-way (or more if necessary for other sets) aerial amplifier and feed the TV and the USB stick from it.

I ran the coaxial cable under the floorboards from a back room two-way aerial amplifier (the second outlet provides the main TV set feed) to a second aerial amplifier in the front room.

This, in turn, supplies the signal for another TV set with a Freeview STB and my computer system's PCI Freeview TV card.

I can watch TV either full screen or tucked away in a corner of the monitor whilst working on the computer; the other TV set is directly behind me so it saves twisting around to watch anything interesting.

tigertop2 10:24 25 Nov 08

Try this site,
click here

I have 2 of their TV amplifiers in use and they have been excellent for improving signal strength. Provided you are already getting a reasonable signal

kidsis 13:46 25 Nov 08

thanks to you both for your replies, much interesting material to research. I like the sound of the two way aerial amp, presumably the main aerial plugs in to that and then an aerial extension to the usb tv stick?

kidsis 10:22 16 Dec 08

hi, resurrecting this to let you know the latest: I opted in the end for a pinnacle dvb t stick solo (bought from Amazon). At first there was a problem with downloading the software, so I went to the Pinnacle site and sent a message stating the error messages I received. I was very impressed with speed of reply and knowledge of the member of staff, anyway I was advised to delete part of the software and reinstall. I did this from their site, and hey presto it works. I am now on the verge of getting the slx amplifier recommended by tigertop2 as long as it is ok for freeview digital tv. A lot of these amps mention sky which we don't have, so I do not want to get the wrong thing that doesn't work with digifreeview!

Stuartli 23:46 19 Dec 08

An aerial amplifier is just that - an amplifier.

Where the signal comes from is irrelevant, but is normally analogue or digital television transmissions via a coaxial aerial lead feed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced