US version of PS3, does it work in the UK?

bargain 20:18 28 Jan 07

Having read the news on the expensive option being the only available version in the UK I just wondered whether the cheaper US version would work here (PAL etc). Anyone got an idea or tried already?

zincy 23:18 28 Jan 07

I believe that the movies on blu ray will be locked and as for games i'm sure its multi regional....

Kate B 15:33 29 Jan 07

PS2 games are region-encoded, which suggests that they will be for the PS3, too.

rodriguez 16:01 29 Jan 07

I don't know the power requirements for the PS3, but these are things you'll need to consider:

Mains electricity in the USA runs at 110/115v 60 Hz and ours is 230/240v 50 Hz. This means that the PS3 will need to accept our voltage otherwise you could seriously damage it. A lot of newer devices will accept both voltages, but some won't. There will be a label on the back of the machine that says what voltage it will accept.

TV sets in the USA use NTSC and we use PAL. An NTSC signal has a different colour format. You may notice that when some American TV shows are shown over hre the colour isn't as bright - and this is the reason. It also has a different frame size and frame rate. It runs at 29.97 frames per second and PAL is 25. Also an NTSC singal is in 60 Hz and PAL is 60. The end result if you plug it into a UK TV set that can't accept an NTSC singal is a slightly stretched black & white picture (if the TV is old, the picture may also roll).

Finally, the games are almost certain to be region locked. This means any UK games won't run on it, they'll all have to be imported from America. You can probably mod the console to play UK games, but this is illegal.

sean-278262 20:12 30 Jan 07

"You can probably mod the console to play UK games, but this is illegal."

Illegal to have mod chips for "sale, advertisement, possession for commercial purposes and use of PlayStation 2 modification chips is illegal in this country."

But you wont get pulled up over it as you wont breach any of those. If you buy something and it was intended to play games on then buying a mod chip is prefectly legal. However selling them is not.

click here

Personally I feel that this is yet another excuse by sony to limit the european market. I suspect they will eventually release the cheaper version over here too.

Arthur Scrimshaw 21:57 30 Jan 07

"Games will be region-free, but movies will still have region locks preventing multiregion playback"

zincy 23:41 30 Jan 07

Arthur Scrimshaw

You are correct, the games for the ps3 is multi region but the movies are not...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…