upscaling DVD - is it worthwhile?

puddin 21:20 23 Aug 07

Having just bought a plasma tv, my next thought is to wards an upscaling DVD player to make best use of my collection of (SD) DVDs.

As I understand the technology, the TV has upscaling circuitry built-in to deal with broadcast signals. I have Sky+ the TV has Freeview and analogue - all looking pretty good (even analogue!).

Watching a DVD from my (non-upscaling) DVD player produces what appears to be a faultless picture from normal view distance.

My question is: If I purchase an upscaling DVD player (thinking of the Panasonic S53EB to use the Panasonic Viera Link to the TV), will there be a significant improvement in picture quality over my present arrangement? Will the player be duplicating the functionality of the TV?

I feel there should be an improvement, given that the HDMI signal would be digital while the SCART signal is analogue, but would I notice?

puddin 00:18 25 Aug 07

Beta:
While your opinion on DVD players may be interesting,
you did not address the question in my OP, namely: does the circuitry in an upscaling DVD player (of any price) duplicate what the TV will do to a SD signal?

Supplementary questions: what standard (in terms of 720i/p, 1080i/p or etc) does a SD DVD player generate, and what is the effective resolution on my Panasonic TH37PX70 TV when connected via SCART?

puddin 12:38 25 Aug 07

...so, does the upscaling DVD player merely duplicate the function already built in to the TV or not?

puddin 22:21 26 Aug 07

Beta - It's not that I don't understand your answer. I don't think you are answering my question. I appreciate your time spent on responding, but can you simply say "yes" or "no": does a TV such as I have duplicate the upscaling function of an upscaling DVD player (of any make)? If so, is there any point in buying such a player to play STANDARD definition DVDs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…