understanding dvd formats

nobbyhigo 17:51 02 May 07

could someone explain what the difference and pluses/minuses are for dvd-r and dvd+r discs i would like to buy a dvd recorder and i am confused as which to get
thanks nobby

Stuartli 19:17 02 May 07

See:

click here

Normally CD-R or DVD-R is Write Once only, unless used in multisession form with a burning program such as Nero (this enables files etc to be added until the disk is full and saves wasting disk capacity).

CD-RW and DVD-RW are Rewritable (i.e. can be used more than once).

De Marcus™ 22:25 02 May 07

"could someone explain what the difference and pluses/minuses are for dvd-r and dvd+r discs"

In simple terms, none.

Once upon a time they may well have been a difference (personally never experienced it). According to the gospel preachers of dvd formats, DVD+ is better for video and DVD- is better for data, etc. That's never panned out in my experience, both formats have performed the same in both aspects. In terms of DVD recorder performance, well, that depends entirley on the recorder you buy. The majority of cheapo dvd players will suffice in most cases, actually they can be quite good. If your after specific functions then use google to hunt the model down.

Never lose sight of the fact that you get what you pay for and google is your friend, especially where dvd recorder reviews are concerned.

oresome 22:54 02 May 07

Manufacturers really do need to get their heads together and produce a single format when introducing new equipment.

All this gobbledegook is a turn off for your average consumer. I can understand why you're confused nobbyhigo.

Some manufacturers produce multi-format DVD recorder machines, but there's no guarantee that a recorded disc will play on another machine whatever format is used in my experience.

(Speaking as one who's gone back to using the VHS recorder for reliability.)

anchor 11:58 04 May 07

I read somewhere that DVD-R is more universally accepted by stand alone DVD players.

It has to be finalised though.

setecio 16:27 06 May 07

When you use them as frisbees the dvd-r tend to break to the left and are suited to left handed throwers whereas the dvd+r suit the right handers ;)

I think the only difference now is that you need to buy the correct ones for your recorder. I did read there was some minor difference in dvd-rw & dvd+rw, something to do with chapters but it was so irrelevant to me I ignored it.

sw-blue 00:28 07 May 07

This thread is so apt as I'm pulling my hair out trying to use the things for video.

I have a multi format DVD RW drive on my PC and the same on my home cinema system.

I bought some DVD-RW and burnt some movies onto them on the PC. Works great on the PC and the quality is superb. Bu I cannot use them on my home cinema as it doen't recognise them.

So I bought some DVD+R DL discs. Burnt some movies onto them on the PC and againwors great on the PC but not on the home cinema system.

getting a bit more knowledgable, i thought I would format the latter type on the home cinema, put it inot the PC and try again. Nope, this time, whilst the PC can see them and the memory available, it cannnot write to them.

Is there a good teach in site that can help me understand because I am at a loss. Or is it that compatibility between different players is not great and I'm doing nothing wrong.

Any help appreciated. I don't think I have hijacked the post as I think nobby is asking similar to me ....

setecio 12:43 07 May 07

What formats does the home cinema system say it supports. DVD-r is the most compatible with other players. When using rw in another player they have to be finalised. I don't know enough to be of much help. Maybe a forum on the manufacturers site might help ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…