Unable to play .MKV video files

Esc4p3 12:46 10 Oct 07

I have a movie in the Matroska format. I have Win Vista and Windows Media Player will not play it.

I downloaded a program called 'Media Player Classic' and I can now hear the sound, but the picture is just a black screen.

I assume that I need some kind of codec, can anyone please suggest what I need. I am on dial-up, so ideally no huge downloads please. Thanks in advance for your help

anchor 13:45 10 Oct 07

Selection of other players here:

click here

Info here:

click here

wolfie3000 01:59 11 Oct 07

Im assuming you have the K-lite codec pack installed if you have media player classic,

If you do then go to K-lite codec Tweak tool and select and tick the Matroska splitter (Haali) and then follow the rest of the instructions ect....

The Matroska codec isnt active by default but can be activated this way.

click here

Esc4p3 08:43 11 Oct 07

No, I havent installed K-Lite, I just downloaded mpc on its own - oops.

Thanks for the advice, looks like I shall have to do some more downloading/installing/tweaking :-)

Esc4p3 21:45 11 Oct 07

OK, installed K-Lite, but I do not get the options shown in the linked image. My list is very different to that shown....

Esc4p3 16:00 12 Oct 07

Oops again, I downloaded the K-Lite basic pack, but it looks like I need K-Lite Full, so will download that and try again.

Esc4p3 14:41 15 Oct 07

Sorted now, downloaded the full codec pack, enabled the filters as shown in the post above. Thanks for the help, ticked resolved now.

steven605 06:55 19 Jan 10

<a href="click here">Convert to MKV</a> is a powerful MKV video converter and MKV file converter, that can help you convert videos to MKV files with fast speed and excellent output quality.
<a href="click here">Convert MKV to DVD</a>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant