TV won't start up from standby

Sapins 08:53 01 Nov 05

I have a Mitsubishi TV about 8 years old. When I put it into standby overnight it will not start up, what looks like a picture broken into slanting bars , jumps up and down. AV1 in Red letters appears on the screen just before this happens, this always used to be in white. Can I change this AV1 back to white as I think this may be the problem or is the TV on the way out?

The TV is connected to a Sky box and a Liteon HDD Video recorder. I have upgraded the firmware for the recorder.

Fellsider 11:25 03 Nov 05

Does the TV work on its own? i.e. disconnect Sky and DVDR.

Then connect Sky and DVD-R separately, seeing if it works after each connection.

This should recreate / isolate the fault somewhere along the way otherwise it must work OK.

Sapins 13:04 03 Nov 05

I only have Sky TV. I think I will have to try to get a TV from a friend to try.

bobbybowls 18:07 03 Nov 05

try unpluging it instead of standby

Arnie 19:33 03 Nov 05

Why were you leaving the set in standby anyway?
It is safer and easier on your pocket to switch off the set at the wall.

Do as Fellsider suggests and disconnect everything from the set and try connecting a VCR via a SCART lead. Insert a recorded tape in the VCR and select the VCR from the set's SCART input menu. Can you now see a stable picture?
If the symptoms are the same, the set's sync. is possibly faulty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…