TV tuner without an aerial?

evansg 12:55 05 Dec 06

Hi, beginner here...

I just got a new laptop and would like to get a tv tuner so that I can watch TV upstairs. I don't have an aerial in my house (have a digital box downstairs), so I was wondering if you can get TV tuners with aerials built in (or bundled with them), preferably ones that can receive Freeview?

If you can, does anyone have advice on a good, but not too expensive one?

Thanks

Stuartli 13:52 05 Dec 06

You can get the USB stick type with a small aerial provided - these will also accept a coaxial cable plug so you could use a portable aerial to boost the signal.

Tested and recommended aerials of this type (just £9.99) at:

click here

evansg 13:59 05 Dec 06

Thanks stuartli. Do the small aerials tend to give fairly weak signals on their own?

I actually saw those ones with the aerials on the PCworld website, but couldn't work out if the aerial was just for digital radio and if you still needed your own aerial for TV...

woodchip 23:21 05 Dec 06

For arial you need a portable with a Booster Amp built in

For TV click here

dms05 11:52 06 Dec 06

The antenna depends upon how strong the signal is in your location. The small ones included with USB stick tuners will only work with a very strong signal. Boosters are OK provided you have a clean signal othwise they just boost the interference as well. You might be able to use an indoor loft mounted antenna and run the coax cable through the ceiling.

evansg 12:02 06 Dec 06

Is there any way to test how strong our signal is before I purchase an aerial? I presume they won't let you return it on the basis that the signal wasn't strong enough.

I know we get a poor FM radio signal in our house so maybe that bodes badly?

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…