TV cards -do they really? work which would yo

stevezzz 19:04 17 Jan 08

Can you help me please ?

I am desperately trying to get tv on my PC so I can take advantage of all it,s

features , timed hard drive recording etc.

I have tried three with no luck-

a Pinnaclehybrid

Worked for about a year intermittent on digital some channels, poor analogue ,

possibly aerial. Blue screened on timer record.

I got a pinnacle usb stick one.

never got this to work .

WinTV-HVR 1100

software wouldn't install ,gave a permission error.
tried the card with Nero Home,it detected the card gave poor analogue reception but

did detect the channels.

Had the aerial checked professionally. It was abit weak, they fitted a booster and

demonstrated that it Worked fine on an external digibox, but tv card wouldn't

tune in any digital or analogue stations.

Is this typical of TV cards or do they really work?

Can you recommend an analogue and digital hybrid card (I want to connect VCR and

satellite to it Using analogue).

My system-
Windows xp pro SP2
Amd Athlon 64 x 2 dual core 4200+0
1535.48 Ram
2 internal 80G HD (NTFS)

6 miles from TV transmitter, line of site.

Thanks,

Steve

STREETWORK 20:17 17 Jan 08

The problems you give may not relate to the card but rather the sound card or chip you have installed on the PC, its woth checking the sound card manufacturer website for issues and update the drivers...

Stuartli 23:57 17 Jan 08

I've had a Twinhan Freeview PCI TV card for two or three years (Model 3054) which is fed from a aerial amplifier from the main TV aerial (it also feeds another aerial amplifier and an LCD and CRT TV set).

The Twinhan software is not all that clever, but I use the BDA drivers in conjunction with the final version of ShowShifter and receive excellent pictures and sound; the card is also high definition compatible, which is why the firm's products are so popular in Australia (HD has been available for some time Down Under).

The software allows reception of all the digital TV and radio channels available from Winter Hill and also delivers Teletext on analogue broadcasts, plus FM radio.

The display can be full size or scaled down to reside in a corner of the screen to allow normal surfing to be undertaken.

Stuartli 23:58 17 Jan 08

Both the Twinhan and Showshifter software provide full PVR use similar to a Sky+ box - I bought a high capacity hard drive to take full advantage of the feature.

stevezzz 09:07 18 Jan 08

Many thanks, I'll look into those suggestions.

Steve

Stuartli 09:48 18 Jan 08

ShowShifter now seems to be available again after the website was closed down a year or so ago. See:

click here

Jollyjohn 22:31 20 Jan 08

Hi
I use a Hauppage pvr500 DUAL analogue tuner card on Windows MCE and it works fine. The dual tuner allows me to watch one channel and record another. Be aware that most hybrids will not allow this. I have a Pinnacle dual tuner tv card in a box waiting until I get a better Freeview coverage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant