Troubles getting images from camera to computer

newearwax 15:50 15 Jul 08

I do this via reader writer and not via a camera link. My camera is a a Fuji 8000fd and mormally I use an SD card. However my previous camera was an Olympus C750, which used XDs. As the Fuji also accepts Xds and my SD cards were full but contents not yet taken off I used two of the Xds over the weekend to cover the emergency.

On inserting card #1 in the reader a message popped up, "Do you want to format this disk", so that i had to load the files via the camera link, but at least I had the pictures.

With card #2 there were lots of files/folders with strange hieroglyphics, squares triangles and suchlike, and file dates like 09/06/2085.

What could be the problem; is it related to the card reader, the cards or the camera?

Ideas and suggestions for avoiding same trouble in future will be much appreciated.

^wave^ 18:57 15 Jul 08

i have seen probs with card readers but they tend to say mass storage device and do nothing. i always use the cameras cable and download via there software but if i use my daugter or sons cameras then i down load via the camera using picasa

jack 20:00 15 Jul 08

With this card type.
The first thing to do is - if you have any camera derived software installed - take it out and do not re install it.
As ^wave^ suggests use the camera to link.
Windows will simply read the camera as another drive -it does not need any assistance from any other software.
As regard the card reader compatibility -check out your particular reader- some need an adapter to read Xd's or SD cards-and it may be cheaper simply to purchase another 'all cards' reader.

newearwax 20:07 15 Jul 08

Actually I use different readers, one for the SD and another for the XD. Both have been used without trouble before. The Sabdisk for Xd I have had for a number of years.

@jack you write "with this card type" Are meaning the SD or the XD

I have the Fuji's finepix viewer installed, but that is useful for the full exif info it supplies. Are you even meaning that?

rdave13 00:06 20 Jul 08

Trouble with removing 'cards' and reinserting to a reader then removing again and reinserting to a camera means wear an tear.
I do it as little as possible.

hssutton 09:25 20 Jul 08

I'm still using compactflash cards first used in 2001, always used a cardreader and they're still going strong and I'm transferring images to PC on a daily basis.

gogmagog.
I would suggest you invest in a new Multi Cardreader, they only cost a few pounds from such as click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…