Transfering music from Cassete to digital?

1936 19:19 17 Jan 08

I know that this question must have been asked a number of times but I can't find the answer that I need.
Like many people I disposed of my tape cassett player years ago and now I find that I would like to be able to transfer some of my music tape cassetts to DVD.
Iv'e looked in a certain catalogue and found plenty of inexpensive Tape/CD players but I have no idea if they will connect up to my computer so, my question is as follows:
Can anyone recomend what equipment I need for my task?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:38 17 Jan 08

Cassette to PC connection.
click here

1936 20:09 17 Jan 08

I may have not understood the answer but what I am looking for is a device to actually play the tape.

john bunyan 20:44 17 Jan 08

1936. You need a cassette player with output (female) sockets. Maplin sell leads to plug these via a plug that turns them into a male phono plug that should go into the microphone socket of your PC sound card. Then use whatever software you have to capture the music - I use the X Fi stuff that came with the sound card. Then burn DVD's (Why bother - why not save in mp3 and play on an mp3 player?) If you cant borrow a cassette player there are loads in second hand shops or "up the tip"

jack 20:15 18 Jan 08

I use a battered old walkman style player at lead a hundres years old and a doublened 3,5 mm lead with pligs from pnoes sock to line in.
Then all you need is the software

dBpowerAMP\MusicConverter.
or click here
a google for either or will bring them forth

1936 20:50 18 Jan 08

Its funny you should say that jack because I have just tried out a twenty year old Matsui Personal Cassett Player connected to my computer through a device with four sockets that goes to what I think is an AV in.
I originally set up the device to connect a VHS player to the computer so that I could download family VHS tapes and edit the rubbish out.
I would like to take this a step further and instead of the ancient Cassett Player I would like to use a smarter looking thing such as CD Radio Cassett Player.
I contacted Goodman's who replied, "We do not make any units that would suit your needs. You require a tape deck with a fixed audio output, some portables will have an input but not output. The only socket usable would be a headphone socket but this would not be as good a quality as a dedicated audio line out."
I think that they are wrong because the output from my ancient Cassett Player seems allright to me but I have a severe hearing loss and use a hearing aid so my judgement may be wrong.
What do you think?

100andthirty 20:52 18 Jan 08

you need one of these - often in PC world or Maplins

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:57 18 Jan 08

I use a personal cassette player (aprrox 15yrs old) simular to click here
and a lead with a jack plug at each end

from headphone socket on player to line in on PC works well your never going to get good quality from a tape so record at lower settings (128 bits or les)

jack 08:58 19 Jan 08

Essentially speaking when the trade or an enthusiast is consulted on such matter they will bring into play parameters that not of this 'mucking about' world.
The earphone outlet to the line in on your PC is good enough.
The experts are talking high specifications- which in most cases, especially low end consumer products[Goodmans] could not possibly deliver anyway.
Just go for it. -double ended 3.5mm lead cassette to line in and the free software - Audacity.
It will be OK not broadcast quality - just OK for home listening - that's all you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…