Tomtom One - any good for N. Ireland

Widow's Son 12:37 15 Jul 08

I'm thinking about buying one - Are the N. ireland maps any good?

Also "TomTom Map Share" which seems to allow you to update your maps - is this free or is there a fee?

Thanks in advance for your help

Jim Thing 13:57 15 Jul 08

My TomTom One XL seems to do exactly what it says on the tin, although I've found a couple of annoying instances of very suspect 'updating' with regard to places in N. Ireland. For example, until very recently it always tried to direct me onto a bypass in my part of Co. Down that has been planned for years but isn't actually built yet. Also it doesn't appear to know about a 'new' local roundabout that's been in use for more than a year.

The MapShare feature is free. It enables you to incorporate map changes, corrections, etc. reported by yourself and other users. You can set it up so that it updates your unit with everyone's reported corrections, or only with corrections reported by yourself, or only with corrections checked and approved by TomTom. (I think that's how it works anyway — if I'm wrong perhaps someone more knowledgeable will kindly correct me.)

I'm about to give it a a good workout this weekend, when I'll be driving to Norfolk (a part of England that's totally unfamiliar to me) in order to meet friends in a village that I've never heard of. So if I don't reappear in these forums — goodbye...

Widow's Son 15:02 15 Jul 08

I'm County Down myself (Ards) - I've been using Copilot (about 4 years old) and whilst its fairly good generally it doesn't realise that for example Portstewart exists beyond a few roads

Enjoy Norfolk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017