Thinking about changing camera to a Sony DSC-T7

funkey_monkey 09:02 05 May 06

I've bought a Casio EX-Z600 6MP digital camera from Jessops for £150.

However, now that I've gotten it home and examined it in more detail there are some things which are annyoing me about it.

1. It is awkward to hold
2. The ultra compact cameras are more easily carried.
3. To charge the battery whilst on holiday I'll have to take the docking cradle with me.

I have since looked at a Sony DSC-T7 which is a 5MP camera which has a Carl Zeiss lens (apparently quite a good lens). I find it more easy to hold/operate and also it is noticeably slimmer.

It retails for £279 in Jessops but i can get it online for £190 from buyacamera.co.uk

I know the Memory stick Duo's are more expensive and require a converter to use in the booths at the photograph shops.

I am assuming that the quality of the Carl Zeiss lens will negate (at least) the fact that the Casio has 1MP more than the Sony.

The Sony is chareged via a little box which looks more sturdy the the docking station and therefore more suitable to carrying on holiday.

Does anyone have any advice for me in regard to returning the Casio EX-Z600 and buying the Sony DSC-T7?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

FM

Saltyseadog 09:25 05 May 06

Hi funkey_monkey,
I have just bought the Sony DSC-T9 which I realise isn't the camera your after but, the picture quality is very good. It takes a bit getting used to the camera as it is so small but I'm very impressed with the build quality. I did consider the T7 at first as it gets very good reviews but I decided to get the T9 in the end from Pixmania for quite a good price.

hssutton 11:25 05 May 06

You would be very hard pushed to notice any difference between 5 & 6 Mp unless you are going for very large (poster size prints) even then a superior lens will negate the 1 Mp difference.

However I would suggest you read these comments click here

Forum Editor 10:37 06 May 06

in Consumerwatch, which is always a confusing situation. I've responded in the Consumerwatch version, with advice about returning the camera, so I think I'll lock that version now.

anchor 16:01 08 May 06

After reading the user comments on the link given by hssutton, personally I would re-consider the decision to get the Sony DSC-T7.

I agree that magazine reviews of this model are much more favourable, but it does give cause for thought.

willie078 19:46 12 May 06

I bought the Sony DSC W17 as my first digital camera aand as a snapper I must admit the results are excellent, they have come down in price since I got mine [Jessops]plus I have never used my 35 mm since

jakimo 12:08 15 May 06

You can compare digi cameras technical qualities and photo samples with this link,but whatever the merits of a camera if it doesn't feel comfortable to handle then it will always be the wrong camera for you..I used this link to make a short list then went to dealers like Jessops to handle the cameras before buying

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…