Swapping Orange SIM Card into Razr V3

phoenix198 19:24 17 Sep 06

For someone who likes to think of himself as being technologically aware, I find that I am astonishingly ignorant as far as mobile phones are concerned.

Here's what I would like to do: swap the SIM card from my Orange (contract) supplied Nokia 6330i phone into a Motorola Razr V3 chassis - probably purchased from Asda, Tesco, or whomsoever will supply it the cheapest - suggestions welcomed.

Is this possible, and if so, what steps do I have to take to achieve it?

thms 19:37 17 Sep 06

Try here
click here

thms 19:39 17 Sep 06

Should add if your new phone has an orange sim card there is no need to swap your cards. Your number can be transfered to the card in the new phone.

phoenix198 22:48 17 Sep 06

Not quite what I was looking for - the upgrade cost is prohibitive (£150!) at the current stage of my contract, and that's in addition to £79.99 for the phone.

I was hoping to be able to simply buy a phone, and swap in my SIM card and effectively run on the Orange contract in a different phone.

thms 12:12 18 Sep 06

Well I bought a Motorola V3 and just phoned this number 0800 079 0027 and said I wanted to upgrade but keep my existing number. It didn't cost me anything and was done in a few minutes.

You will need your new sim card number and your IME number.

leo49 14:01 18 Sep 06

Buy an UNLOCKED V3 and simply stick your sim card in it.[Ebay will probably be your best bet as V3's are no longer the fashion item they were].If you do buy one that's locked to a network other than Orange they're very easy to
unlock.

Dipso 22:10 21 Sep 06

Buy a V3 from Virgin Mobile for £99.99 and get a free £35 airtime voucher. Top up the phone with the voucher and Virgin will provide the unlock code (you have to top up with £30 for them to do this) you can now use your Orange SIM and have the Virgin SIM/credit that you can use to make outgoing calls.

This way may seem a bit more hassle but the phone would only have cost you £65 if you take the call cost into account. I bet you wouldn't get a sacond hand one on Ebay for much cheaper.

You could always sell the Virgin SIM of course.

phoenix198 11:11 23 Sep 06

Thank you very much for that advice - good one!

I actually managed to improve on your plan by buying in a high-street Virgin Mobile store, where I got a £50 free airtime voucher (staggered over 4 months) rather than £35 one.

Cheers

Dipso 13:53 23 Sep 06

Nice one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5