Sony RDR - Virgin Media & Guide Plus issues

mrgekko 10:08 25 Nov 07

Hi there. Was hoping for some help for what is probably a very straightforward question.

I've recently bought a Sony RDR (HXD870B) and am having trouble setting it up so it works as I'm sure it has been designed to, in synch with my Virgin Media cable service service.

I have an old Telewest PACE box and am receiving a digital cable signal from Virgin Media. The instructions that came with the Sony RDR have 3 set up options - for Freeview, for Satellite/Cable Analogue or for Terrestrial Analogue. Despite the omission of set up guide for Cable Digitial I have managed to set up so that I can watch cable and DVD's through the same channel and record onto both disc and hard drive from that channel. However :

a) The Hard Drive Recorder only works if the TV is turned on. It records when turned off, but no image can be seen.

b) The tuning system within the RDR cannot pick up any of the Virgin Media channels (or any channels) with the set up i've configured and as such, I can't receive any program listing, use the Guide Plus feature and therefore I am unable to set the timer to record anything, on the RDR.

Having browsed various forums, I'm picking up contradictory information about if i'm able to pick up Guide Plus with Virgin Media which leads me to believe that Sony RDR's are not compatible.

I must be missing something obvious. If anyone can help me i'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance!

MadBob 14:42 25 Nov 07

You can't tune into cable (or Sky) channels with your box using Freeview or tha analogue tuner, Cable don't transmit that way.

If your recorder can record from the AV input or the aerial output on a channel number. You need to set the recorder to do that and set your cable box to turn to the appropriate channel at the same time.

I think you need something like a V+ box to get what you are hoping for.

Bob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…