Sony DVD recorder spare parts

scoobyman 14:11 01 Oct 07

i have a Sony DVD Recorder model number RDR-gx210 which will not play DVD's but will Play CD's. I have been told by a repairer that it needs a new laser assembly at a cost of £190 fitted!!!! It was a present from my son who saved ages to buy it and I don't want to disappoint him. I am fairly competent with electronics so does anyone know where I can get this part from other than Sony? Thank you

davidh50 22:58 01 Oct 07
  Al94 09:22 02 Oct 07

May be a common problem with this model click here Try contacting Sony. Failing that contacting these people may yield the part click here

scoobyman 09:46 02 Oct 07

Thanks guys. I have contacted Sony and they are not interested. All they said was I should have taken out the extended warranty. I will keep trying with them.

Arthur Scrimshaw 13:48 06 Oct 07

I have a Sony home cinema amp which developed a fault 6 months out of warranty. After calling Sony HQ they offered to fund 50% of the repair cost. I told them I bought Sony (at a premium price) because I thought it was better quality than the rest (a position I've since realised was false) and I didn't expect to be in that situation. May be worth a try.

oresome 11:42 07 Oct 07

At these prices for spare parts and the inevitable labour charges, it's plain to see why most repairers of consumer goods have gone out of business.

It has to be an expensive item, or of sentamental value to contemplate having a repair undertaken.

Arnie 11:45 07 Oct 07

"All they said was I should have taken out the extended warranty. I will keep trying with them".

If that's the best they can offer they're a disgrace.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…