Sony Digital Camera not compatible with Vista

kendor969 15:28 16 Apr 07

I have had a Sony digital still camera for a few years now and it still meets my requirements. I have recently got a new computer running Vista. I have just tried to to put my photos from the camera on to the computer for the first time. Only to find that my camera is not compatible with Vista. Does anybody know a way round this other than buying a new camera?

Kate B 15:50 16 Apr 07

All you need is either a card reader - your new machine might have one built in - or the USB cable that connects your camera to the computer. With a card reader, take out the Memory Stick and shove it in the card reader, then go to Computer, where Vista will see it as a drive.

Or if you plug your camera in to the computer with the USB cable, again, go to Computer and Vista will see it as a drive. Either way you will be able to drag and drop your pictures into a folder on your hard drive or import them via Windows Photo Gallery.

For rudimentary fixing and editing, you can use Windows Photo Gallery; otherwise there are plenty of free applications you could use. Or if you feel flush, splash out on a copy of Photoshop Elements. The most up to date version is 5.0, but 4.0 is still available through Amazon for a lot less and it's just as good.

jack 19:36 16 Apr 07

When you say the Camera is not compatible, I assume you are using the supplied software.
Remove the software.
Simply plug the camera in, as Kate B says the Computer will simply present you with an additional drive.
Transfer images from there
Let Windoze do the Work

kendor969 20:07 16 Apr 07

Kate, I have plugged the camera into the computer with the USB cable and Vista can't find a driver and I don't get to see an additional drive as jack says. It shows up in Device Manager as Other Device with a Query. I downloaded a driver from Sony, and when i tried to load it I got the message " USB driver cannot be installed in the current version of windows " Yes Jack I mean the software.

Kate B 00:15 17 Apr 07

What is the camera? It really shouldn't need a driver - unless it's really old and had its own USB mass storage driver. Try a card reader as a workaround. click here

jack 08:43 17 Apr 07

Suggest you remove any Camera software and drivers and plug camera in after a restart
Drivers are not required with NT [2000/XP/Vista] operating systems - its all built in.
Lets Windows do the work

kendor969 19:50 20 Apr 07

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I've accepted Kate's advice and bought a card reader.

MEDMAN111 02:26 23 Apr 07

this camera uses floppys for storage , I have 500 floppys I need to view them on vista, sony will not help and arcsoft does not have a patch. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks

jack 08:27 23 Apr 07

Sony mavica fd88 not compatible with vista

this camera uses floppies for storage , I have 500 floppies I need to view them on vista, Sony will not help and arc-soft does not have a patch. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.
----------------o0o--------------------------------
This query would get a better airng as a separate string- so Repeat in as a new thread.
but as you are here--------------------------
USB external Floppy drives are available- Google around for those, but that would seem a tad costly to buy as a one off job.
Alternatively if you have a chum with computer with a Floppy drive and the time to upload them and burn to CD/DVDs-or for you to supply him with a 'pen' drive- this could be the way

keef66 15:33 30 Apr 07

Are you saying that if you put the floppy in the drive, Vista won't display the images? I've used a Mavica and thought the images were stored as simple jpegs which any version of windows should handle.

If I had 500 floppy discs worth of photos I'd be copying them to CD or DVD asap. Floppies aren't the most reliable of things

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…