Solar Laptop Chargers??

rattyjunk 22:15 03 Aug 06

I'll soon be buying the following laptop (See Link)

click here

I want to use this on the move and was wondering if anyone knows of a good solar charger to charge and also to sustain constant use.

Your help would be most welcome

De Marcus™ 22:30 03 Aug 06

On the move in a car, public transport or leg power?

rattyjunk 22:39 03 Aug 06

Well I'm moving to an Island where electricity is very expensive so hence the need for alternative power and by on the move I mean by foot

De Marcus™ 22:53 03 Aug 06

I'd doubt very much that a solar panel can provide you with the sort of power you'll need for that kind of laptop, at least one that's portable anyway. What about a suitcase generator?

De Marcus™ 22:55 03 Aug 06

Even something like this click here I think would struggle, and also require an inverter (added expense).

rattyjunk 23:04 03 Aug 06

Thanks for the help :)

I may have to email Alienware and get some power requirements and go from there

De Marcus™ 23:08 03 Aug 06

Let us know how you get on, I had a vaguely similar thread recently click here

dms05 07:44 04 Aug 06

I have a motorhome with a solar panel capable of delivering 80 watts at 12 volts. The panel measures 95cm x 40cm and weighs 10kg. You'd then need a converter from 12v to your laptop voltage. My solar panel cost considerably more than my laptop. As your laptop uses the same power as a light bulb running, even from very high priced mains electric, must make more sense.

Jimmy14 13:25 04 Aug 06

Taking a desktop replacement laptop with low battery life and a big power cable on the move is a big challenge which I wouldn't encourage. If it's for on the move then buy a portable laptop.

Forum Editor 17:03 05 Aug 06

It will some solar panel that runs that machine. The size of panel required to run a laptop is pretty big, and in the solar panel industry size means cost.

Belatucadrus 01:55 12 Aug 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…