sky+HD, is it worth getting

Grambo 11:33 15 Feb 09

I already have sky with variety, knowledge, news packs (historically i only kept sky going to get eurosport for the bike racing) and now have 1080 lcd. This 49 quid offer seems very good, even just to get the + bit. My question is, how many HD channels will i get with my 3 packs. Not sure wether to take the plunge.

anskyber 19:22 15 Feb 09

If you are into bike racing ( I assume of the pedal variety) then Eurosport now broadcast in HD

The number of HD channels is increasing all the time but beware not all HD channels broadcast in HD all of the time. The information banner will tell you if it is HD.

laurie53 20:33 15 Feb 09

I was given a Sky HD box for Christmas.

While there is a discernible difference it isn't that marked.

If I'd had to pay for it I wouldn't have thought it was worth it. Maybe on a vast plasma screen, but not for your average living room.

A triumph of hype over performance (like many of the sports now in HD!).

If you're talking about MotoGP don't forget that Eurosport only broadcast the feed they get from the native television network.

If the country concerned doesn't have HD transmission, or they don't use it for bike racing, then Eurosport can't show it.

anskyber 23:35 15 Feb 09

laurie53 makes a good point, which basically is about screen size and viewing distance.

For screen sizes at say 32 inch or less there will be a difference but perhaps not mind blowing. You will however be able to get very close to a screen before yoy are aware of the pixels.

I have a 40 inch screen and the difference between SD and HD is exceptional.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…