sky+ hard disk upgrade?

i've no idea 21:48 11 Jan 06

Is it possible to put a new (bigger) hard disk in a sky+ box?

Mine keeps filling up.

BRYNIT 10:13 12 Jan 06

click here this might help.

ed-0 18:50 13 Jan 06

Yes.

samsung spinpoint 5400 work well. 250 to 300gig hard drives are popular. Set the drive to cable select.

Turn the machine off and open. relaese the hard drive caddy, disconnect the ide cable and power lead. Take out the hard drive. Insert new.

start up and pick technician setup. Then pick the restore settings option. You will be asked to linkup the telephone line and it should then sync with your sky card.

i've no idea 19:17 13 Jan 06

Wow,

Sounds easier than I thought. I believe you have to get the 5400 drives as the 7000rpm dont get up to speed quick enough?

Thanks for your help all.

ed-0 19:37 13 Jan 06

We did our box about 6 months ago. Works well.:-)

sp4rc 19:36 31 Jan 06

Some drives don't work in Sky+ receivers, mostly Hitachi and Western Digitals. This is due to the spin up speed on those disks.

You also want to watch that the disk you go for doesn't draw to much current and overload the power supply. Also noise is an issue, as some disks make more noise than others.

In the end I went for a drive upgrade kit from XtendedPlay - click here

At least you can be sure it's a drive that works. They also set the drive firmware to 'quiet' mode, so there's no messing with the drive in a PC.

DamianScott 00:19 01 Feb 06

In order to limit the noise coming from the HDD in your Sky+ box when you upgrade it, you'll need to first of all plug the HDD into your PC's IDE port, and boot into windows where you can then alter the acoustic management settings for the drive. There are 2 setting, optimised for noise reduction, or optimised for speed. Most drives are optimised for speed when new, and can be altered quite simply via windows.

I could explain in more detail, but it's late & I'm getting tired!

Anyway, that's the general gist of it, look it up on the web and see if it helps!

Good luck

Damian

Looking for computer spare parts? click here

MidgetMan 17:49 02 Feb 06

I would be very interested to know how you do that, perhaps you could post instructions? as I have never seen that option in windows

tasslehoff burrfoot 17:57 03 Feb 06

I've never seen that option within Windows.

However, drive manufacturers normally supply a free tool with which you can create a bootable disc to perform this.

tasslehoff burrfoot 18:00 03 Feb 06

sky+ upgrades/info

click here

sp4rc 00:58 20 Feb 06

Just browsing around the new DVRForums and found a good FAQ on upgrading the disk in the Sky+ box:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac