Sky Digital screen freezing - Digital static???

funkey_monkey 23:07 28 Apr 06

Hi,

I've got Sky Digital at home and our reception is becoming prone to screen freezes.

I've checked the signal strength and quality via the menu and quality was pretty much 100% and strength ranged from 75% upwards - both of which I'd expect to provide an excellent picture/sound combination.

This occurs in all weather conditions.

The coax from the dish down should be fine as it was replaced when sky digital went in. The receiver box is a Pace, model BSKYB 2500B. Could this be on the way out? Both the coax and receiver would be around (at a guess) up to 10 years old.

What could be wrong and how can I correct this?

Thanks.

BRYNIT 00:03 29 Apr 06

It could be the LNB/dish, the cable or the Digi box. All could create a intermittent fault that would create these symptoms.

wiz-king 08:25 30 Apr 06

I have noticed that I tend to get freezing or breakup when some motorcycles go past. The ignition pulses from some of them seem to be worse than others. I would also check your coax as some of the cheaper types used by contractors are not good and could have adsorbed water over time causing the braid to corrode. The fact that you say 'becoming prone' is an indication that something is changing and the coax is the most lightly candidate.

funkey_monkey 19:38 30 Apr 06

I should say that the quality is degraded - around 70%. Whereas the strength is closer to max.

Any more hints?

How canI test the coax without cutting it for a cross section investigation?

peter4076 14:45 01 May 06

Lot of problems with Sky sorted out here. click here

BLB 09:12 03 May 06

I'm getting exactly the same problem and after checking everything I'm beginning to think its a transmission problem at Sky's end.I have an Amstrad box.

anchor 10:06 03 May 06

In the early days of ITV3 on Sky, this sort of thing used to happen quite often. I reported it to ITV3 and they said they would look into it.

Rarely happens now, and rarely ever on other channels.

dms05 12:57 03 May 06

If the Digibox is reporting 75% Signal Quality (and it's accurate) you shouldn't have a problem and it does indicate everything upto the Digibox is performing OK. I can (and do) watch Sky with a Quality of only 25%. So where's the problem? Is the freezing on ALL channels or just some? To squeeze more transponders onto a satellite they have Horizontal and Vertical polarisation. The Signal Quality you report is from the default transponder and that's 11.667 Vertical, so perhaps the LNB is weaker on the Horizontal channels? So which channels are you experiencing problems on? Also have a look on ebay for a Sky LNB - they are only a few pounds and are easy to swop if you can reach the dish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…