Sky+ box to record Freeview.

User-4B5A1112-C5BD-4E10-A1366CD6FED13F22 07:43 AM 18 Mar 10

Hi geniuses,
Does anyone know if it is possible to set up my Sky+ recorder to accept a cable Freeview set up?
Where I live satellite dishes are not allowed and I do not want to chuck it out.
Thanks in anticipation
Mike

jack 08:19 AM 18 Mar 10

If that is what is allowed in your area
carries a fair selection of SKY[but not all]
in addition to Freeview
But thats it if no dishes are allowed

jack 08:21 AM 18 Mar 10

As I haven experience of what a SKY+'box can do
is to experiment.
If you go for cable it comes with its own 'Box'

morddwyd 20:03 PM 18 Mar 10

Can't see a satellite signal and a cable signal being similar.

The Sky dish is dealing with an infinitesimal signal.

A cable signal, by the very nature of normal cable losses, will be much stronger.

If you don't get an answer here try the Digital Spy forums.

Graham. 09:22 AM 25 Mar 10

A dish needn't be mounted high on a wall. Anywhere in the garden with a clear view of the satellite will suffice.

dms_05 16:35 PM 25 Mar 10

The simple answer is NO. The Sky+ system will only work with a Sky subscription, if you cancel this then the + functions are lost. In any case it won't work with cable.

Newuser2 18:54 PM 17 Apr 10

I stand to be corrected dms_05 but I have been told that if you cancel your sky sub you still receive some channels, I'm not sure which ones but that's what I've been told

CurlyWhirly 05:25 AM 18 Apr 10

I haven't had a Sky+ digibox for years (as I'm now on Freeview) but when I cancelled my subscription, the recording facility stopped working but I could still receive the free-to-air channels.

I don't think this has changed.

dms_05 12:01 PM 18 Apr 10

Quite correct - as I said before the Sky+ features won't work. However the box will continue as a receiver only and will have no record or playback functions at all - regardless of the channel been Pay or FTA.

No Sky PVR will allow any input from an external source even if you have full Sky+ features enabled.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites