Sky+ box to record Freeview.

Hi geniuses,
Does anyone know if it is possible to set up my Sky+ recorder to accept a cable Freeview set up?
Where I live satellite dishes are not allowed and I do not want to chuck it out.
Thanks in anticipation
Mike

jack 18 Mar 10

If that is what is allowed in your area
carries a fair selection of SKY[but not all]
in addition to Freeview
But thats it if no dishes are allowed

jack 18 Mar 10

As I haven experience of what a SKY+'box can do
is to experiment.
If you go for cable it comes with its own 'Box'

morddwyd 18 Mar 10

Can't see a satellite signal and a cable signal being similar.

The Sky dish is dealing with an infinitesimal signal.

A cable signal, by the very nature of normal cable losses, will be much stronger.

If you don't get an answer here try the Digital Spy forums.

Graham. 25 Mar 10

A dish needn't be mounted high on a wall. Anywhere in the garden with a clear view of the satellite will suffice.

dms_05 25 Mar 10

The simple answer is NO. The Sky+ system will only work with a Sky subscription, if you cancel this then the + functions are lost. In any case it won't work with cable.

Newuser2 17 Apr 10

I stand to be corrected dms_05 but I have been told that if you cancel your sky sub you still receive some channels, I'm not sure which ones but that's what I've been told

CurlyWhirly 18 Apr 10

I haven't had a Sky+ digibox for years (as I'm now on Freeview) but when I cancelled my subscription, the recording facility stopped working but I could still receive the free-to-air channels.

I don't think this has changed.

dms_05 18 Apr 10

Quite correct - as I said before the Sky+ features won't work. However the box will continue as a receiver only and will have no record or playback functions at all - regardless of the channel been Pay or FTA.

No Sky PVR will allow any input from an external source even if you have full Sky+ features enabled.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message