security on a smartphone?

sunnystaines 08 Sep 10

if surfing the web on the pc can risk spyware,virus, hijacks etc can the same happen to surfing on a smartphone.

one store tells me no another says there may be an app somewhere to protect the phone but did not think there was a risk.

what has a smartphone got that protects it that a pc does not have.

Seth Haniel 08 Sep 10

but needs to be switched on - as its normal setting is off

sunnystaines 08 Sep 10

seth
thanks i will have to get the shop to set that up for me.

decided to gofor the htc desire after a yoyo between that and the galaxy S

sunnystaines 08 Sep 10

the store said its all automatic nothing to do how do i check this on the htc desire?

does anyone use the matrix dots to enter a secure touch line or just use on/off button?

going to have a good play around once the phone is live connected, so stand by. this old dinosaur is bound to get stuck on silly bits here and there never had a smartphone before.

Seth Haniel 08 Sep 10

Options. Security options. Firewall. Status=disabled. Click to enable.

sunnystaines 08 Sep 10

thanks

sunnystaines 08 Sep 10

no firewall option that i can find, spent all evening playing around

Forum Editor 08 Sep 10

you'll need to install a third-party application like SMobile Security Shield

click here for details. It will run on your new phone, just make sure you go for the Android-compatible version.

sunnystaines 09 Sep 10

FE thanks for the link.

pookie 03 Oct 10

Does anyone have antivirus etc software on their smartphone? Does it slow your phone down?

If I access internet on phone using wifi through home modem router only (as on pay as you go) would I still need a firewall etc on the phone?

Many thanks

sunnystaines 03 Oct 10

norton are doing a free smartphone 90 day beta but i have not tried it.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message