sd card not read

lakeman 11:24 26 Dec 09

hi all ive got a samsung camcorder that takes sd cards up to 8gb, i have a lot of short videos to put on my pc for editing but when i connect via usb the transfer wont take place, says the folder is empty yet i can view photos and watch video when card is in camcorder, i formatted the card before use which incidentally is a 2gb card

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:39 26 Dec 09

tried putting the card into a card reader rather than through the camera?

lakeman 15:36 26 Dec 09

i tried the card reader on my tv , same result, i formatted the card before i used it, pictures i have on the card showed up on the tv but not the mpegs altho pics nor mpegs showed on pc, i know its a common fault and wondered if there is a way of recovering these files,

BRYNIT 17:12 26 Dec 09

On most TV's you only be able to see jpg pictures you will won't be able to view videos.

Knowing which Samsung camcorder you have will help other advise you.

Have you installed the program that came with the camcorder?.

BRYNIT 17:14 26 Dec 09

Must check before posting, it should read.

On most TV's you will only be able to see jpg pictures you will won't be able to view videos.

lakeman 19:19 26 Dec 09

yes i installed what came with it , its a samsung smx f30 , i have viewed video on my tv using the appropiate 3 colour cable no problem.i have a solution , i will play the video on my tv and record it to my dvd recorder but doesnt solve the issue of a an sd card that wont transfer its data be it mpeg or jpeg,

BRYNIT 22:00 26 Dec 09

I was looking at the manual from the Samsung website I think it was the correct one and noticed.

Your PC can recognise only one storage media (Built-in memory or memory card) from the camcorder at a time. If you cannot find the removable disk of your choice, change the storage setting of your camcorder. see page 39

If connecting via USB and you have the video on a memory card you may have it set to built in memory and will not show the video on the memory card.

If you look through the manual it should assist you.

dms_05 12:24 27 Dec 09

8 GB SDHC cards are readable on standard SD readers and you may need a very cheap USB SDSC reader (under 30p on ebay). The reason is older standard SD cards had different memory mapping and use FAT16 for formatting. SDHC cards had to use bigger segements and FAT32 to release upto 32 GB. The two systems aren't compatible and you have a simple mis-match. Can you try an SD card of 2 GB or lower and see if that works?

dms_05 12:26 27 Dec 09

Sorry the first few words should be......8 GB SDHC cards are *NOT* readable on standard SD readers

lakeman 14:54 27 Dec 09

thanks dms, i have it set to read memory card, when i connect via usb i can see the "removable disk" but it says its empty,on a friends pc via card reader it saw only the jpegs not the mpegs,the only thing i can think of is that i ecently changed to vista and whilst using xp i didnt have this problem, however i cant imagine that being the problem altho coincidental

lakeman 16:04 28 Dec 09

to add i should say that my digi camera with an xd card poses no problems as to transferring files, its seems the problem is vista related after all,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5