Scart / S-Video Help VHS Capture

silverous 17:12 24 Nov 07

Hi,

Been messing around trying to capture VHS to my PC. I've got an ATI x850 card that has an connector and cable that is supposed to accept S-Video or Composite.

Finally managed to prove that it is accepting composite by connecting up a video camera.

Can't get my VHS player to output to it at all. I'm trying to use a Scart to S-Video cable. I tried the same cable with S-Video input on my TV there and nothing either.

This is leading me to think that either:

i) The Scart to S-Video is actual directional and is an S-Video to Scart (wrong way for me)

or

ii) My VHS player can't output S-Video over scart (I figured the cable acts as an adaptor but perhaps not)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

100andthirty 17:23 24 Nov 07

it is unusual for a VCR to output S video over scart. If it has am s video output socket, use that

it is unusual for a VCR to output S video over scart. If it has am s video output socket, use that

MCE2K5 20:37 24 Nov 07

Could be you need one of these, click here

silverous 21:55 25 Nov 07

Gee thinks 100andthirty - so sure you posted three times? If it had svideo output do you think I'd be busy trying to convert from scart to an s-video input on the PC ???!!

silverous 21:56 25 Nov 07

MCE2K5 - thanks, but doesn't that still assume that the VHS recorder is outputting S-Video ? I think I may need some kind of electronics inbetween that converts from the Scart (RGB?) output to S-Video?

anskyber 06:05 26 Nov 07

Has the VCR got a menu?

My old VCR had an on screen menu which allowed me to choose the output from the VCR, eg s video or RGB.

Fully wired scarts (some cheaper ones are not) will have an s video line in the scart line.

anskyber 06:31 26 Nov 07

PS but look under "criticisms" here. click here

silverous 18:32 26 Nov 07

I was looking for a menu but couldn't see one. It is relatively old now. Sounds like I may need a special cable.

lixdexik 20:42 30 Nov 07

if you click here this should take you to a two way option for scart to svhs

Cheers Lixdexik.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017