Scanning resolution

Woody Ham 14:26 28 May 08

I have photos which I want to scan to save for posterity! Any advice on the best resolution etc. I use XP and have a HP Photosmart C4280 scanner.

wiz-king 21:19 28 May 08

If you put them in a metal box in a cool dry place they will outlast any form of computer storage. Hard drives crash, computers fail, even backup devices like tape or CD's only last a short time, to say nothing of the image standards that are lightly to be superseded.

wiz-king 21:21 28 May 08

Oops lightly = likely

MCE2K5 01:39 29 May 08

Or Scan at 1200 DPI for Best Quality (I do).

Stuartli 14:57 29 May 08

A somewhat pessimistic view of the world of IT....:-)

wiz-king 05:38 30 May 08

As the owner of a pile of 5" disks and a bigger pile of 3" floppies together with a computer that wont take either the problem is real. I know I can get external drives but my desk is already overcrowded!
I still have a stock of 8 track tape cartridges and some betamax videos from making the wrong choice in years gone by! {:<0)

john bunyan 17:16 31 May 08

For 10 x 8in. I scan at 300dpi, and for smaller images at 600 or 800. Obviously you go for more on negs and slides. I have had no trouble with this as ageneral rule, and back up to a second HD and an external HD as well as DVD's. If you scan too high the storage gets too big.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017