Satelite dishes

jay-pee 23:28 30 Aug 09

Hi,
Can someone please enlighten me as to how many tvs can be run off a satellite dish? Many thanks.
Jaypee

Forum Editor 00:45 31 Aug 09

but of how many satellite desktop boxes, and the answer is one - or at least it is if you only have one viewing card.

You can take the signal from the desktop box and send it to other TV's via a signal distributor/amplifier, but they'll all have to watch the same channel.

BRYNIT 01:27 31 Aug 09

A satellite dish with a quad LNB will allow you to connect upto 4 sky/freesky boxes.

As Forum Editor has said you can take the signal from the desktop box and send it to other TV's via a signal distributor/amplifier, but they'll all have to watch the same channel that the box is showing.

gez10 13:17 31 Aug 09

Hi There Am Looking For Some Sort Of Box So I Can Watch Football ,Movie Etc I've Got A Sky Plus Box And Sky Dish I Would Like To Know If A Can By A Box To Get More Channels Thanks

laurie53 19:55 31 Aug 09

With over 600 channels available with your Sky+ box, how many more channels are you looking for?

There are many hundreds of foreign channels available with a normal FTA satellite receiver.

However, you would be limited somewhat by your Sky dish.

jay-pee 22:30 31 Aug 09

Many thanks for the info, now I can sort my viewing out ready for digital switchover

laurie53 07:54 01 Sep 09

The digital switch over is entirely separate from satellite viewing.

The digital switch over only affects terrestrial transmissions, which come through your normal aerial.

Provided you have decent signal, which you should have once the switch over takes place and signal strengths are increased, you will not need a satellite dish or receiver.

jay-pee 21:49 01 Sep 09

I already have a sky box and have a sky engineer coming to change it to a sky+ box and also put in a HD sky+ box in another room. I am hoping to reuse the sky box in the bedroom for free-to view television. Will I get new cards for the 2 new boxes or will they incorporate the old card. If so how/where can I get a replacement card without having to go through Sky? Many thanks

DieSse 00:08 02 Sep 09

With two Sky+ boxes - if you want to use the recording facility on both, that needs a quad (4-ouput) LNB and 4 cables (2 to each box).

You may find either he won't have with him to fit (or it'll ba a fair bit extra) an 8-output LNB, or a special 4-output LNB (of a different type) and a distribution/switch box. It'll also need a fifth cable to the old box.

This will probably be charged fairly highly at a guess, as a "non-standard" installation.

Assuming you have taken out two new subscriptions for the Sky+ boxes, they'll come with new cards. If the old card is switched off, you can continue to use it in the old box, where it'll give you a few more channels than no card at all.

No, you can't get a replacement card from anywhere but Sky (or a Sky agent, or second-hand perhaps) - but you shouldn't need to, anyway.

DieSse 00:10 02 Sep 09

"Assuming you have taken out two new subscriptions for the Sky+ boxes"

'Cos they won't be any use without subscriptions!

dms_05 15:42 02 Sep 09

It looks as if the OP is having Sky Multiroom where he will get two cards, one for the Sky+ and one for Sky+HD. That needs 4 inputs from the LNB.

The old standard Sky box will receive the same as a Freesat box even if it is without a Sky card and all you will need is a feed from the LNB. However as others say that will mean you need a 8 output Octo LNB.

My experience is Sky installers don't normally carry these unless they were booked at the point of order. However you can buy them for under £20 on ebay and fit it yourself - then run the 5th cable to wherever you want the oldest box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017