Roof antenna for Sat Nav question

golfpro 11:49 30 Mar 07

Is anyone using a Sat Nav with a car roof antenna, and are they worth the trouble of messing about with cables etc etc.
I have just bought the new Sony NV-U71T, and was wondering if it will work more efficiently with this.

Al94 12:35 30 Mar 07

I have a Garmin and use an aerial but didnt have to mount it on the roof. It works perfectly mounted on the back parcel shelf with the cable concealed round the edge of the roof lining/door trims.

anchor 14:40 30 Mar 07

This model features the new, (highly sensitive), SiRFstarIII GPS chipset. In most cases you will not need an external antenna. However, if you have a car with an athermic windscreen, you might.

Try it out in your car, with the SatNav mounted in the position you wish to have it, and see if it picks up a number of satellites; (on my TomTom you can see how many it is receiving).

I suspect you will not have problems. Reports on this chipset are good.

golfpro 16:01 30 Mar 07

Thanks for that, but what's a athermic windscreen???
The other thing is, when I'm travelling abroad I always use hire cars.

GroupFC 16:14 30 Mar 07

have a look here (I did because I didn't know either!):-
click here

anchor 16:57 30 Mar 07

Hello GroupFC: I am not so sure that list is correct.

I have a BMW 5 series, and have no trouble in picking up all the satellites, even with my older TomTom 700, that does not have the new chipset. It is not even level with the windscreen, as you can see in this "mock-up" of how I use it in my car.

click here

golfpro: No problem when you are using hire cars; I take my TomTom with me, with the screen mount, and plug it into the cigar lighter. I did this in Spain in January.

anchor 17:04 30 Mar 07

golfpro:

I am sure that you are aware that SatNavs are one of most sort after items for thieves.

When leaving the car, ALWAYS remove it, and the mount, from sight. You should also remove any ring mark from the windscreen. This is a giveaway that a SatNav is in the car.

golfpro 17:59 30 Mar 07

Thanks a lot guys, I guess this has answered a lot of my questions. I'll see what happens on my next hire car.

SUZUKIGV 09:04 04 Apr 07

I have a NV-U71T, MY 307 PUG HAS A COATED WINDSCREEN SO NEED VCA-41 ANTENNA, SONY DO NOT HAVE ANY. THEY ARE NO HELP. (EVEN PAID FOR THE ORDER BUT THEY DELEYED THE ORDER BUT NO REFUND SO FAR). LOCAL STORE CONFUSED, SONYSTYLE HELP DESK NOT INTERSTED?
ANY IDEAS?

IT WORKS FINE IN MY SUZUKI CONVERTABLE !!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…