Reliability of LCD TV?

pomphrey 10:11 19 Aug 09

I am ready to buy a 37 Panasonic LCD TV and I can buy from Dixons with 1yr guarantee at good price,or a local retailer with 5yr guarantee at a much higher price. I am concerned about reliability and loss of pixels?

oresome 17:13 19 Aug 09

My own unsubstantiated view is that LCD tvs, particularly up to 37" should be inherently reliable.

I'd be less inclined to take a risk with a plasma tv and would probably buy from John Lewis or similar with a 'free' 5 year guarantee.

Stuartli 23:56 19 Aug 09

Buy from the local retailer and get the proper five year Panasonic warranty - it's worth around £200 on its own.

Haggle a bit and you could well get the warranty thrown in; the decent independent retailers often join up with manufacturers such as Panasonic, Sony, LG and similar marques to offer extra incentives.

Here's an example from my area:

click here

The warranty is included in this case and extras for £99, including dish installation.

Sometimes the warranty and the £99 package are thrown in for the cost of the TV.

Stuartli 00:01 20 Aug 09

You are thinking of buying a top brand, highly respected manufacturer's LCD TV, so reliability is pretty much a "given".

It's the cheap, often no name or unknown name brands which should be avoided...:-)

pomphrey 23:27 21 Aug 09

Thanks everyone for your comments I have decided to buy from Dixons at the best price and 1yr guarantee and hope for the best. I could not get a price match with 5yrs.

Stuartli 23:51 21 Aug 09

Your choice.......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…