recording freeview whilst watching it

Jule 14:23 09 Dec 05

i am a complete technophobe & have no idea what dv hd r or rw mean (i don't really care either!) but can anyone tell me whether there is a dvd recorder that can do what i want. i want to watch a freeview channel on my tv whilst recording a different freeview channel on a dvd recorder. i don't care whether it has a hard drive or not as i don't see any difference, but i want also to watch dvd's - either bought ones or ones i have recorded. at the moment i have a combined dvd/vce recorder used with a digital box & that is ok except i can't record & watch freeview at the same time.

DieSse 14:55 09 Dec 05

To watch one thing and record another, you need two freeview tuners - OR you use analogue (old tv channels) for one thing, and freeview for the other

Jule 17:47 09 Dec 05

thanks DieSse, is it possible to connect two freeview boxes to the same tv then? surely that wouldn't work

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:56 09 Dec 05

you could try one of these click here

Jule 15:24 10 Dec 05

thanks Arthur, had a look but this seems to be just a recorder and unable to play dvd's or video tapes. i'm beginning to realise that what i want hasn't been invented yet! oh well maybe next year

spargo 17:49 10 Dec 05
  Jule 17:54 10 Dec 05

hi spargo, this looks good. i know i sound stupid but is the phrase i need to look for "twin tuner" & does this mean i can watch one freeview channel while recording another?

spargo 18:01 10 Dec 05

Yes, try Google for 'twin tuner PVR', it should provide a good list for you

Jule 18:03 10 Dec 05

spargo, another stupid question, do these machines play videotapes or dvd's, i don't think they do, so could i connect a dvd player to the tv as well? thanks

spargo 18:09 10 Dec 05

No they do not play video tapes, most of them use a hard drive to record on and give you many options ( ie record two progs at the same time, time slip etc.). You can connect a DVD player as well to view DVD's.
Look at the specs give by the various makers.

Jule 18:12 10 Dec 05

last question, is the picture you get a digital picture like the one i get with my freeview box or is it analogue like my rubbish tv without the freeview box (this is my main reason to get one as my vcr records such a poor picture i don't bother with it)?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…