Recording Freeview

Mill Reef. 14:02 31 Jan 06

Is it possible to Record Freeview to Video.There has been lots of programmes i would like to record but can,t fathom out how to do it.Thanks for any help.Peter

De Marcus™ 14:25 31 Jan 06

Ideally you should have the Freeview's scart out plugged into your VCR's scart in. From there your VCR's scart out should be plugged into your tv.

You'll have to change the AV mode/source on the VCR so that it's displaying the freeview picture before you record, make sure by pressing the electronic guide button so you can distinguish between normal TV and Freeview. That's if your VCR has an aerial attached.

Mill Reef. 14:48 31 Jan 06

Thanks De Marcus i have my Freeview box connected the way you mentioned.Does this let me Record one programme and watch another at the same time.Thank You.Peter

De Marcus™ 16:39 31 Jan 06

Most freeview boxes come with only one scart socket out, so in order to watch another channel whilst recording from the digibox you'll have to basically stick with an analogue channel (normal tv). Essentially, once you've got the recording started, press the button on your remote that switches the TV set back to normal analogue channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5 if your lucky). This way your VCR is recording the digital channel whilst your watching normal analogue TV (don't forget you'll need to take an aerial cable from the digibox's aerial out to the TV's aerial in).

Mill Reef. 08:48 01 Feb 06

Thanks DeMarcus i will give it a go.But i think the only way i can get back to Analogue TV is by switching the Freeview box of.Cheers Peter

De Marcus™ 09:04 01 Feb 06

You may have an option on the TV to switch 'auto-scart' off. Check your manual just incase.

De Marcus™ 09:08 01 Feb 06

On a side note, if you can't switch 'auto-scart' off, you could always opt for a manual scart switch from the likes of Argos or Asda for a few quid.

Mill Reef. 10:08 01 Feb 06

Thanks DeMarcus.Ihave just had a look at my Freeview Box,it has 2 scart connectors,one goes to the Video and one to the TV.also in the back of the box is a TV Ariel lead and a black RF lead that goes to the Video.theres a RF lead from Video to TV.Sorry for not giving this ealier,i thought my box only had one scart connector.Thank You.Peter

De Marcus™ 10:25 01 Feb 06

The secondary scart (i.e. the one that goes to the VCR) won't be of much use to you in this situation, it's for plugging your VCR into so you can switch between Digital TV and VCR with your Digital TV remote.

The way I would set it all up in order to record onto a VCR whilst having the ability to watch TV at the same time as recording would be (mouthfull):

Scart Out DigiBox > VCR Scart in

VCR Scart out > Manual Scart switch box (turn signal on/off)

RF feed > Digibox RF in

Digibox RF out > VCR RF in (presuming you want your VCR to have an aerial feed, if not loop straight into the TV)

VCR RF out > Tv Rf in

The auto-scart thing that comes with a lot of TV's is a real pain, using a switch box you can start your recording, switch the signal on the switch box off and reume watching normal analogue TV.

GPa 11:02 01 Feb 06

Apart from the technical info from other contributors, I would add that on my setup (Goodmans GDB3) I have to set the recording start and stop times on the GDB3 AND the video recorder. This switches on the box to receive the digital channel and the VCR to record.

De Marcus™ 11:15 01 Feb 06

Good point, it would be a good idea to synchronise the clocks on Digibox and VCR, you know, so you don't miss the beginning of eastenders ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5