Questions about an LCD tv and a DVD/VHS combi.

Armchair 12:19 18 Nov 07

Buying a tv set and DVD/VHS combi. for my brother for Xmas (who's never actually owned a tv set before!). Won't be using the tv set for gaming.

1) Is this tv set worth buying for £450? Any obvious flaws in it's sepcification?

click here

2) What exactly is the difference between an HDMI DVD player and a regular DVD player? I've heard of Blu-Ray and HD DVD, but I thought they were completely different formats? What does an HDMI DVD player do that a regular DVD player can't? All the DVD/VHS combis. (not DVD recorders, I don't need to buy one of those) I see are regular DVD players.

Cheers!

Armchair 13:09 18 Nov 07

Btw, do VHS tapes display alight on an LCD tv?

Si_L 00:50 19 Nov 07

That sounds alright for the money, but the digital switchover is looming, and after we switch your VHS machine will become redundant. Why not look into getting a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) aka DVR (Digital Video Recorder), they are more expensive, but they basically work as a hard drive to record channels onto (sometimes up to 3 at time).

VHS, like the music cassette, has seen its day, and has no place in the future.

The TV is good, also a DVD player is essential, but consider spending the extra money for the better gadget that will still work 2-3 years down the line.

anchor 13:20 20 Nov 07

Your link gives the following message:

"We’re sorry, but there is no Sony web page matching your entry. It is possible that you typed the address incorrectly, or that the page no longer exists. You may wish to try another entry or use the following link to discover the world of Sony Electronics and Entertainment":

In reply to your question: do VHS tapes display alright on an LCD tv?. I can only say that on my wifes mid-size Samsung LCD TV in the bedroom, they were OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…