a program to optimise jpg images to save memory?

theDarkness 08:22 22 Nov 08

I am working with hundreds of jpg images, which have been saved from photoshop. I have noticed if i open them in microsoft paint, and save them without any modification, the file reduces in memory size. I do not seem to see any change in the image quality, although this is not a major issue. I am working with many images, so i am looking for a program to batch optimise hundreds of these single layer jpg images at once, saving me much memory in the same fashion? This would also save me alot of time...! can anyone help? thanks.

jack 09:38 22 Nov 08

Would seem to be an answer
Its free
Type the name in your browser and download and install.
There is of course a learning curve

smokingbeagle 11:15 22 Nov 08
  DieSse 15:26 22 Nov 08

"....and save them without any modification"

I imagine Paint is saving them with a modification. When jpgs are saved, more sophisticated programs allow you to adjust the compression ratio. I would think that Paint is applying an unannounced (must be a fixed one, since you can't alter it) compression ratio to effect such file size savings. So whilst it may not be noticeable, there may be some loss of quality.

Also there is often redundant data in jpg files that depends which program made the file (such as Photoshop) which can be stripped out without losing any picture data - I don't know how much saving is involved though.

You can test the effects of higher compression yourself on a typical image in a better program.

Have a look and see if this is what you need

click here

This one claims to strip out non-picture data

click here

Stuartli 16:38 23 Nov 08

There's also PIXResizer:

click here

which I also use apart from Irfanview.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…